rough idle and dark smoke out the exhaust

  • carlosmciver
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
      hello all, i hope i can get some advise or opinions about my new
      problems with my 1984 bmw 533i. it just started happening a few days
      ago, it started shaking with a rough idle and there is nasty black
      smoke out of the exhaust. can anyone relate to this???
    • Steve Haygood
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
        If it is black and not blue, It is running very rich, Check fuel pressure
        and the coolant temp sensor. As a quick check, does it idle better when the
        dipstick is pulled out. This leans the mixture out and will verify the rich
        condition
        Steve

        Steve Haygood
        BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
        03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
        03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
          --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Haygood" <sfhaygood@a...>
          wrote:

          > If it is black and not blue, It is running very rich, Check fuel
          pressure
          > and the coolant temp sensor. As a quick check, does it idle better
          when the
          > dipstick is pulled out. This leans the mixture out and will verify
          the rich
          > condition
          > Steve
          >

          > Steve Haygood
          > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
          > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
          > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

          On Behalf
          > Of carlosmciver
          > Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:28 PM
          > To: bmwe28@...
          > Subject: [bmw e28] rough idle and dark smoke out the exhaust
          > WHAT CAUSES THE FUEL PRESSURE TO DROP OR INCREASE? COULD IT BE A
          FAULTY FUEL PUMP? I HAVE CHANGED THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE, PRESSURE
          REGULATOR, CAM SENSORS, CRANK SENSOR, FUEL INJECTORS, ETC., AND IT
          STILL RUNS ROUGH AT A LOW IDLE AND BLACK SMOKE. I HAVE ALSO NOTICED
          THAT THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORKING, BEFORE
          IF I DISCONNECTED THE CONNECTOR, THE IDLE WOULD GO HIGHER, NOW IT
          DOES NOTHING(EVEN WITH A NEW ONE), ANY SUGGESTIONS??? PLEASE HELP,
          I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
          > hello all, i hope i can get some advise or opinions about my new
          problems
          > with my 1984 bmw 533i. it just started happening a few days ago,
          it started
          > shaking with a rough idle and there is nasty black smoke out of
          the exhaust.
          > can anyone relate to this???

        • carlosmciver
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
            wrote:

            > If it is black and not blue, It is running very rich, Check fuel
            pressure
            > and the coolant temp sensor. As a quick check, does it idle better
            when the
            > dipstick is pulled out. This leans the mixture out and will verify
            the rich
            > condition
            > Steve
            >

            > Steve Haygood
            > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
            > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

            On Behalf
            > Of carlosmciver
            > Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:28 PM
            > To: bmwe28@...
            > Subject: [bmw e28] rough idle and dark smoke out the exhaust
            >
            > hello all, i hope i can get some advise or opinions about my new
            problems
            > with my 1984 bmw 533i. it just started happening a few days ago,
            it started
            > shaking with a rough idle and there is nasty black smoke out of
            the exhaust.
            > can anyone relate to this???

            >hey you were right, when i pulled out the dipstick, it ran much
            smoother. now you mentioned the fuel pressure (valve ?) and the
            coolant temp sensor. do i replace them ? should this take care of
            the problem?
          • Steve Haygood
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              Don't ever recall a cam sensor on an e28 engine. Sounds like a coolant temp
              sensor or the wiring to it causing the problem

              Steve Haygood
              BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
              03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
              03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

              > If it is black and not blue, It is running very rich, Check fuel
              pressure
              > and the coolant temp sensor. As a quick check, does it idle better
              when the
              > dipstick is pulled out. This leans the mixture out and will verify
              the rich
              > condition
              > Steve
              >

              > Steve Haygood