Rich running, surging and brake pedal oddity

  • markyboy2105112
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
      Hi all. I have a 528i (UK) which I have just recently bought and
      wonder if anyone has had similar trouble. Firstly, the car is running
      rich (hoping to get it tuned in the next week or so) but also surges
      when I release the throttle a bit (ie start to decelarate). I also
      have the pressure warning light comes on when I press the brake pedal,
      but it goes off after I've pressed the pedal about an inch and I start
      braking. Just had new disks & pads all round in the hope of curing it
      (although they were all pretty warn). If anyone has any suggestions
      as to what the causes and/or cures, I'd be grateful.

      Many thanks.

      Mark Dolan
    • john holst
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
        markyboy2105112 <Markyboy1@...> wrote: Hi all. I have a 528i (UK) which I have just recently bought and
        wonder if anyone has had similar trouble. Firstly, the car is running
        rich (hoping to get it tuned in the next week or so) but also surges
        when I release the throttle a bit (ie start to decelarate). I also
        have the pressure warning light comes on when I press the brake pedal,
        but it goes off after I've pressed the pedal about an inch and I start
        braking. Just had new disks & pads all round in the hope of curing it
        (although they were all pretty warn). If anyone has any suggestions
        as to what the causes and/or cures, I'd be grateful.

        Many thanks.

        Mark Dolan

        Hi Mark ,Regarding the brake light warning ,I' ve got the same thing with my 528i I believe when the pedal is pressed the pressure has primed up and the light goes out. As to the surging when decelarating, my guess is the mixture is temporarily correct and not running rich.

        Also the cold start fuel injector may be staying active due to failing sensors (water temp).which results in running rich. I hope that might help .Regards JOHN.

      • Jennifer Bishop
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
          all old e28,s brake light come on at startup and go off when brake is applied.It is a factory setting and cant be removed

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2006
            Hi all and thanks for all the help.

            Tonight I have found two perished hoses from the inlet manifold which
            may be causing the rough running.

            The other problem I am having, with the brake pressure warning light,
            could be the bomb. I've tried pumping the brake pedal quite a few
            times after reading a post in a forum about emtying the accumulator to
            find if its working. The fluid in the PAS container raises when the
            pedal is depressed, but drops again when the pedal is released.

            I'll let you know what happens next!!!

            Regards
            Markyboy
          • markyboy2105112
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2006
              Hi. Just a quick update. I've now replaced 3 vacuum hoses which were
              bodged by a previous owner (can't understand why, the bodges must have
              cost more than the proper bits!) and opened the air valve (suppose it
              had been closed to make up for all the air getting in through the
              vacuum pipes) and she now ticks over a lot better. Still a bit lumpy,
              but once above 1000revs, she's as sweet as a nut. Next thing to do is
              the sensors on the regulator.

              Seeya all later

              Mark
            • Guy DiCesare
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2006
                HI EVERYONE. MY 88 535IS WAS BROUGHT TO THE SHOP
                RECENTLY FOR AN ENGINE MISS. MECHANIC DID NOTHING
                EXCEPT CHANGE ONE PLUG WIRE????!!!!. CAR NOW RUNS
                WORSE-COMPRESSION WAS TESTED-CYLINDERS 1 AND 2 ARE 125
                LBS, 3 THROUGH 6 ARE 150. I NEED HELP HERE-I AM A
                HOSPICE RN AND USE MY CAR DAILY TO SEE PATIENTS. I
                HAVE REPLACED THE FOLLOWING ALREADY: ICV, PLUGS,
                WIRES, FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, IN-TANK FUEL PUMP,
                TEMP SENDER, FUEL FILTER. DISTRIBUTOR AND ROTOR ARE 4
                YEARS OLD. VACUUM LINES APPEAR OK AND WERE CHECKED
                RECENTLY. CAR IS ON THE VERGE OF STALLING WHEN I FIRST
                TURN IT ON (HOT OR COLD)AND IT RUNS VERY ROUGH. IT
                HESITATES VERY BADLY. FUEL MIXTURE/TPS SCREWS DID NOT
                CHANGE ANYTHING. I WAS TOLD MY AIR MASS METER WAS BAD,
                BUT AS I WAS LEAVING THE SHOP, A SECOND MECHANIC TOLD
                ME HE DIDN'T THINK THIS MEANT A BAD METER. PULLING THE
                DIPSTICK MAKES THINGS EVEN WORSE.. INJECTORS ARE
                GETTING PROPER VOLTAGE. CAN YOU RECOMMEND WHAT TO
                CHECK NEXT? I REALLY NEED TO GET THIS FIXED-IT'S MY
                LIVELIHOOD.THANKS TO ALL IN ADVANCE, GUY D

                --- markyboy2105112 <markyboy2105112@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi. Just a quick update. I've now replaced 3
                > vacuum hoses which were
                > bodged by a previous owner (can't understand why,
                > the bodges must have
                > cost more than the proper bits!) and opened the air
                > valve (suppose it
                > had been closed to make up for all the air getting
                > in through the
                > vacuum pipes) and she now ticks over a lot better.
                > Still a bit lumpy,
                > but once above 1000revs, she's as sweet as a nut.
                > Next thing to do is
                > the sensors on the regulator.
                >
                > Seeya all later
                >
                > Mark

              • Gerald Paul
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2006
                  Hi,
                  I have an 88 535is also. Your are correct when you
                  said that your can ran bad when you pulled the distick
                  out, the same thing occurs if the valve cover oil cap
                  is removed or not on tight. Is your oil pressure
                  switch OK? Are the plug wires in correct sequence with
                  distributor? Check your cold start valve too.
                  Good luck.
                  Jerry

                • Guy DiCesare
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2006
                    Hi everyone. I've had it. Anyone interested in buying
                    my 1988 535is please contact me at
                    guydicesare2000@.... the car has had a LOT of
                    work done. I'm just tired of being ripped off by
                    mechanics. Thanks