noisy cams or tappets

  • cathleen9386
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      hello group ive recently brought a e28m535i its got a good history
      166thou miles ,its a 1986 218hrsp standard not the 298 one ,i think
      there may be a problem with the cam or the tappets main reason being
      they are quite noisy , is this a common trate or do you think i should
      just tighten them up or are they self adjusting . any advice would be
      greatly appreciated.
    • Steve Haygood
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        Could be noisy injectors
        Could need a valve adjustment ( factory rec is about every 15,000 miles)
        Could be worn cam and rockers

        Steve

        Steve Haygood
        BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
        03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
        03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          On Monday 1 May 2006 9:28 AM, cathleen9386 wrote:
          > there may be a problem with the cam or the tappets
          main reason being
          > they are quite noisy

          Are they noisy ALL the time? Or just when the motor
          starts?

          I ask this because it might be oil-related. My values
          are very noisy on cold winter days until the oil warms
          up and starts flowing well to the top of the motor...

          So I could see that poor oil pressure or poor oil
          circulation or just low oil might also cause noisy
          values, temporarily.

          Blake