Dinan Chip Installation "87 528e

  • deshan waring
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2006
      Does anyone know the procedure for installing a Dinan chip in ecu?
      My vehicle is 1987 528e (mfg 10/86).. I was told that this is a snap in plug and play process, but maybe because my car was mfg'd Oct.86 it may actually have 1986 installation process.

      After removing ecu from car it has a smal screw at each corner on both sides (top and bottom). After removing these screws the backside of the computer board is visible (from either side) and where the chip "must go" is still contained within the steel case and hidden from view. The board looks as if it "must" swing open, but since it's snug and I've never done this before, I didn't force it. I followed the safe process (put it back together and ask someone who knows!!! (you guys).

      So if anyone has encountered this stumbling block, I'd appreciate any assistance you offer..
      Thank you,

      ________
      o/______\o
      (oo=00=oo) DeShan I Waring, Sr
      []------------[]

    • Brett Peavey
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
        hey guys.
        my driveshaft came out of alignment? does that sounds
        right? and i guess that the driveshaft is welded to
        the something and you cant repair the welds. you must
        replace the whole thing? $700.00? you must be
        freaking joking. any info on how this works would be awesome.

        Brett Peavey
        Microwave Component Sources
        Ph. 904.721.3711
        Fax. 904-721-3714
        Cell. 904.210.6573
        PV9@...
        www.microwavecomponentsources.com

      • tony maddison
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
          Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote: hey guys.
          my driveshaft came out of alignment? does that sounds
          right? and i guess that the driveshaft is welded to
          the something and you cant repair the welds. you must
          replace the whole thing? $700.00? you must be
          freaking joking. any info on how this works would be awesome.

          Brett Peavey
          Microwave Component Sources
          Ph. 904.721.3711
          Fax. 904-721-3714
          Cell. 904.210.6573
          PV9@...
          www.microwavecomponentsources.com

          I assume from what you're saying, that you 'prop' shaft is causing a realy bad vibration through the car at speed?
          Your drive (prop) shaft has 2 universal joints fitted in it. Chances are one or both of them have worn exsevly causing you greef.

          I've got the same problem with mine, but i phoned an industrial propshaft maker about changing the joint in my prop. They quted me £55.00 ( about $35) to suply and fit a new U.J and rebalence it.

          I surgest you ring around a few other prop shaft speshalists in your area.

        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
            I've got rebuilts for about half that
            Steve

            Steve Haygood
            BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
            03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
              On Friday 9 June 2006 9:46 AM, Brett Peavey wrote:
              > my driveshaft came out of alignment?

              If you're getting vibration and grinding sounds, it
              could also be the guibo between the transmission and
              driveshaft, and it could also be the centre hanger
              bearing in the middle of the two driveshaft pieces...

              If it truly is a driveshaft problem, you can a used or
              reconditioned one very cheap.

              There's a "medium" amount of labour involved included
              dropping the exhaust...

              cheers,
              Blake

              88 E30 M3 Flo Jo
              84 E28 528e Allegria
              84 E28 528e Mr. Brown
            • Brett Peavey
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 21, 2006
                so help me God if anything else goes wrong on this
                damn car. Ok my AT wont stay in gear. it just keeps
                slipping into neutral. please tell me this is a cheap
                fix. i have a 5 speed donor, but with nowhere to
                tranny swap. why wont it stay in gear? please please help.

                Brett Peavey
                Microwave Component Sources
                Ph. 904.721.3711
                Fax. 904-721-3714
                Cell. 904.210.6573
                PV9@...
                www.microwavecomponentsources.com

              • bimmernutjob
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 21, 2006
                  Brett,

                  it sounds like the shift cable, if it's like one on peugeot 505...then there should be an
                  adjustment link/nut or something. Or maby, some kind of catch/teeth are worn down ??

                  My friend had a peugeot 505, I watched him adjust cable, it was like new after an
                  adjustment. Good luck!

                  OTTO

                  --- In bmwe28@..., Brett Peavey <pv9@y...> wrote:

                  > so help me God if anything else goes wrong on this
                  > damn car. Ok my AT wont stay in gear. it just keeps
                  > slipping into neutral. please tell me this is a cheap
                  > fix. i have a 5 speed donor, but with nowhere to
                  > tranny swap. why wont it stay in gear? please please help.
                  >
                  > Brett Peavey
                  > Microwave Component Sources
                  > Ph. 904.721.3711
                  > Fax. 904-721-3714
                  > Cell. 904.210.6573
                  > PV9@Y...
                  > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Brett Peavey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22, 2006
                    is there any cheap way to fix this? i can fix most
                    things on this car but trannys i have never messed
                    with. just keeps dropping out of gear and into
                    neutral.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 22, 2006
                      brett,

                      have you removed the floor cover ??
                      have you done a visual inspection?

                      It sounds more like the catch/lock mechanism is malfuntioning.
                      Does your car have a small button on side of shift lever (thumb side of "T" handle) ??

                      If I remember, that button needs to be pushed in to go into (nuetral?) reverse from drive.

                      Maby the release button is stuck ???