Hello just a quick question from a yank in tennessee

  • Tery Wood Sr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      I have a 84 528, and just replaced the starter, now the clutch will
      not work. Everthing was working just fine when I pulled it in. I am
      trying to restore this car and was wondering if anyone could help...
    • Steve Haygood
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
        Please define what you mean by"it will not work" ? Is the clutch pedal on
        the floor ? . Did you remove the trans when you pulled the starter?
        Steve

        Steve Haygood
        BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
        03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
        03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
          Okay I replaced the starter now clutch will not engage, I then
          replaced the master and slave clynders and bled the system. the
          clutch pedal feels a bit soft, but will travel the full throw
          length. When the car is not running I can put the clutch in and go
          through all the gears, if I try and start the car in gear it will
          jump. Like I said everything was working fine when I parked it
          before I started working on it. I have also replaced the battery,
          and both cables. I have looked for a lock out switch, but didn't
          think this model had one. I don't know if it matters but I am also
          doing some under the dash work also, I have pulled the old radio and
          am putting a new one in. Any help would be great. Thanks Tery

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Haygood" <sfhaygood@a...>
          wrote:

          > Please define what you mean by"it will not work" ? Is the clutch
          pedal on
          > the floor ? . Did you remove the trans when you pulled the starter?
          > Steve
          >
          > Steve Haygood
          > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
          > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
          > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
          >

          > _____

          On Behalf
          > Of Tery Wood Sr.
          > Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:08 PM
          > To: bmwe28@...
          > Subject: [bmw e28] Hello just a quick question from a yank in
          tennessee

          > I have a 84 528, and just replaced the starter, now the clutch
          will
          > not work. Everthing was working just fine when I pulled it in. I
          am
          > trying to restore this car and was wondering if anyone could
          help...

        • tony maddison
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
            Hi Terry,
            It sounds to me like you've done what a friend of mine did to my 5er when i let him refit the starter while i refitted my inlet manifold!

            If you look at your starter straight on, you will see 2 big wires with nuts atatching them to the starter and 1 small wire with a lucar (spade) conecter on it, this is the 'switch' from the igition. This wire DOSE NOT want to be on the top turmial on the starter, that is a spare earth tearmial thats not used on most models. There's another terminal 'under' the 2 thicker wires. You might not be abul to see it,but it is there.

            It tuck me 3 days to find this out on mine! Hope it works for you.

            Tony

            DSCF2632

          • Phil Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
              Sounds to me like it still has air in the system -
              bleed it backwards - force fluid from the bleed screw
              backwards to the master cylinder. I do this with a
              CLEANED out oil squirt gun filled with brake fluid. If
              you still have a problem it has to be the clutch or a
              pedal travel issue.
              Phil