RE: [bmw e28] 533i Overheating problems

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
      On Sunday 18 June 2006 12:44 PM, bimmernutjob wrote:
      > 2. highway is fine, midrange temps. But in town
      it sometimes jumps to near red zone.

      How new/old is the rad?

      Is the main rad engine fan working?

      Is the auxiliary rad fan working?
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
        --- In bmwe28@..., Blake Nancarrow <blaken@c...> wrote:

        > On Sunday 18 June 2006 12:44 PM, bimmernutjob wrote:
        > > 2. highway is fine, midrange temps. But in town
        > it sometimes jumps to near red zone.
        >
        > How new/old is the rad? Not sure about radiator, I suppose a good flushing will give
        some clues

        > Is the main rad engine fan working? CLUTCH-FAN has been checked out, and is ok
        >
        > Is the auxiliary rad fan working? elec/aux fan is on a manual switch

        thanks for the input otto

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
          Short of replacing the radiator, I plan to buy a 71 (celcius) thermostat and/or a 75
          thermostat. I have a e28 parts car, which never had overheating issues...maby swap
          radiators....and go from there..thanks for advice....otto

          --- In bmwe28@..., "bimmernutjob" <bimmernutjob@y...> wrote:

          > --- In bmwe28@..., Blake Nancarrow <blaken@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Sunday 18 June 2006 12:44 PM, bimmernutjob wrote:
          > > > 2. highway is fine, midrange temps. But in town
          > > it sometimes jumps to near red zone.
          > >
          > > How new/old is the rad? Not sure about radiator, I suppose a good flushing will
          give
          > some clues
          > >
          > > Is the main rad engine fan working? CLUTCH-FAN has been checked out, and is ok
          > >
          > > Is the auxiliary rad fan working? elec/aux fan is on a manual switch
          >
          > thanks for the input otto

        • harvey kay
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
            It's the viscous coupler, i reckon. Not too expensive
            to replace and fairly easy if you want to do it
            yourself. I had same symptoms myself. Good luck

          • bimmernutjob
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
              I'm not quite sure what that is.....but I will try to figure it out..thanks harvey,
              otto

              --- In bmwe28@..., harvey kay <bmxbandit78@y...> wrote:

              > It's the viscous coupler, i reckon. Not too expensive
              > to replace and fairly easy if you want to do it
              > yourself. I had same symptoms myself. Good luck

              > Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo! Mail. http://
              uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

            • harvey kay
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
                The viscous coupler is a little piece of
                temperature-sensitive metal that controls what temp.
                to kick in the cooling fan, its housed near the fan
                somewhere (i had a mechanic sort mine, sorry). They
                break through metal fatigue over time. The car runs
                fine on clear runs or motorways because the air speed
                is enough to cool the rad., but around town it starts
                to overheat as the fan won't start, at least they were
                my symptoms. I think it was about £60 fitted, more
                from BMW obviously! You can get the part on-line
                fairly easily. Good luck buddy

                All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
              • calmloki
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 19, 2006
                  --- In bmwe28@..., harvey kay <bmxbandit78@y...> wrote:

                  > It's the viscous coupler, i reckon. Not too expensive
                  > to replace and fairly easy if you want to do it
                  > yourself. I had same symptoms myself. Good luck

                  I concur. Also known as the fan clutch - in my experience it fails by
                  NOT engaging when hot. Common common failure resulting in overheating
                  at slow speeds. May also be a combination problem with a failure of
                  the electric aux. fan to come on at higher engine temps.
                  Tom
                • bimmernutjob
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 21, 2006
                    It seems the viscous coupler may not be so obvoius to diagnos, eh ?

                    Turning fan by hand, drag feels proper...and it cranks alot of air when idiling...but i
                    suppose if it were slipping, that might be hard to determine. Ok time to examine clucth
                    fan, temp coupling, and THEN focus on radiator. I'll keep you chaps posted.

                    regards, otto