RE: [bmw e28] SPRINGS AND SHOCKS

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
      Check the shock height. They may be shorter. I seem to recall the Bilstein
      sport setup is. I had my oil pan welded up once too. The rear shocks have
      several perches, and I believe mine are on the top perch. The clip is
      replaceable. I've seen them fail at the track. Probably a good idea to keep
      a spare. ping the list if you find some cheap.

      I have the H&R spring set and the rear is very soft and I can still break
      the end loose in tight corners under power. Guess that's why its called
      "driving" and not steering.

      Regards,

      doug

      Hi guys i had a question for all.
      I recently broke the clip of the bilstein shock that i have on my
      right rear side. apparently i've been having trouble with these types
      of shocks. I currently have lowered sport vogtland springs and TOURING
      bilstein struts and shocks. I found out lowering your car especially
      in NY is a major risk factor. I already cracked my oil pan and had it
      replaced, now it's my rear right shock. I am buying the bilstein
      sport shocks but, i was wondering will my car still be stiffer and
      good on turns and corners if i put my original springs along with the
      bilstein sport shocks? I would keep the sport SPRINGS on but, driving
      in the city kind of sucks with all those potholes and bumps. Will it
      lessen my hard cornering performance?. Please let me know. I'm still
      waiting on the shocks to come so I have time and advice to decide on
      what I should do. Basically, I don't want to lose my turning
      stiffness nor, crack another oil pan. What do you think? Thanks much
      for your help.
    • Allan Balagot
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
        the touring shocks only had one perch. It's funny because I took a clip from the old bilstein shock that i had and it still broke down after i replaced it on the way home. 100 bucks down the drain all for nothing. Is it smart to mix springs? say, for my front use the lowered sport springs and for the rear my original stock springs?. or It is possible to use the new bilstein sport shocks I have with my stock springs? another thing is what did you mean by welding your oil pan up?
        thanks for your input

        doug dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote: Check the shock height. They may be shorter. I seem to recall the Bilstein

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2006
          My Panzer mechanic dropped the front subframe (while supporting the motor
          with a BMW special tool) and took off the pan. While the pan was off, the
          crack was welded. We also replaced a cracked motor mount at the same time.

          "mixing" springs changes the handling. Most cars are designed to understeer
          at the limit and the e28 is no exception. The challenge in setup is to
          design in understeer when so much of the mass is up front. To try and get
          the rear to stick it appears they made the rear springs as soft as they
          dared. With the shorter H&R springs, the rears are progressive and even with
          just kids in the back, the rear bottoms out out over bumps. The caveat is
          that I just replaced the second front Bilstein sport strut under warranty,
          so maybe I need to look at the rear shocks next. I just replaced the rear
          subframe bushings with polyurethaned stock ones, and I was hoping that would
          stop the banging but it didn't. The H&R rears are progressive and the where
          the coils are narrower gauge, they touch each other on the car. Thats very
          different than the porsche "cup" race springs on my 944 turbo, that don't
          touch at all. You could probably contact the spring manufacturer and ask
          what the stock vs your spring rate is. As I recall the rear drop was about
          3/4". I gave away my stock rears so I can't compare.

          Regards,

          doug