I got the fuel filter changed and now...

  • Nicholas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 14, 2006
      Good Day!!
      I got my usual mechanic to change my fuel filter and now the car
      stalls after first cranking and when running it dies at red lights.
      This problem was happening before but not that frequent. Where should
      I start?

      Nicholas
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2006
        NICHOLAS

        if your lucky, it's only the fuel pump relay, but
        more likely it's the in-tank fuel pump. check ARIZONA autohaus.com
        bosch in-line pump is most likley ok, or car might not even start.

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Nicholas" <nadavis02@y...> wrote:

        > Good Day!!
        > I got my usual mechanic to change my fuel filter and now the car
        > stalls after first cranking and when running it dies at red lights.
        > This problem was happening before but not that frequent. Where should
        > I start?
        >
        > Nicholas

      • Nick A. Davis - Detour Memphis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 15, 2006
          Good Day!!
          Yeah I am going to start with the fuel pump relay - I have a repair and trying to locate the relay now. Is it by the fuses in the engine. I have a 1985 528e. When I was checking the book under problems the in-tank fuel pump kept coming up in the list of possible problems.

          Thanks for your help!!

          bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:
          NICHOLAS

          if your lucky, it's only the fuel pump relay, but
          more likely it's the in-tank fuel pump. check ARIZONA autohaus.com
          bosch in-line pump is most likley ok, or car might not even start.

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Nicholas" <nadavis02@y...> wrote:

          > Good Day!!
          > I got my usual mechanic to change my fuel filter and now the car
          > stalls after first cranking and when running it dies at red lights.
          > This problem was happening before but not that frequent. Where should
          > I start?
          >
          > Nicholas

          Thanks,
          Nick A. Davis
          Director
          Detour Memphis - Online Magazine

          Check Out the BLOG - The World of Nick A. Davis

          A Starr On The Moon Production Video Site

        • kaz@mydenpo.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 15, 2006
            Hi,
            You better check your fuse too.
            The old one sometimes get bad even the fuse is good the connection somehow
            gets bad and causes problem.
            I also jump my fuel relay. It will not heart. the relay is only cut fuel
            when it is not needed but when you jump it, the fuel pump will run when
            never the ignition is on.
            You only ground one terminal from the relay holder. I can not remember
            which one but I can check mine if you want to.

            kaz

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 15, 2006
                The fuse is in a fuse box and the cover should say what part those fuses
                for.
                The relay right next to the fuse box. There are 3 or 4 relays and the most
                front one is main then the fuel I think.

                Kaz

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 15, 2006
                  I forgot to mention that the main relay get bad sometimes and engine will
                  die intermittently.

                  Kaz

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 16, 2006
                      Oh, I almost forgot. A member of chat group has parts too, and can usaully beat most
                      parthouses on price and shipping. Steve Haygood in Georgia. sfhaygood@...

                      p.s. dont waste your money on a mechanic, like I did on in-tank pump, mechanic also
                      ripped me off with price of parts, besides doing shoddy work. Do it yourself. you can
                      pick up an in-tank pump for under 100 bucks, make sure you get new gasget, and check
                      condition of old mounting nuts and replace if rusty.

                      good luck

                      --- In bmwe28@..., "Nick A. Davis - Detour Memphis" <nadavis02@y...>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 16, 2006
                        relays are square shaped

                        fuel pump relay might have more prongs on bottom, when I figured out which is for fuel I
                        marked it with a big "F" with a sharpie marker, should be the same with most e28's

                        fuse cover should indicate most, if not all ,fuses and relays

                        wrote:

                        > Hey!
                        > Thanks for replying - I am looking for the fuel pump relay right now - where is it? Do
                        you mean check the fuel pump fuse? What should it look like?

                        > kaz@m... wrote: Hi,
                        > You better check your fuse too.
                        > The old one sometimes get bad even the fuse is good the connection somehow
                        > gets bad and causes problem.
                        > I also jump my fuel relay. It will not heart. the relay is only cut fuel
                        > when it is not needed but when you jump it, the fuel pump will run when
                        > never the ignition is on.
                        > You only ground one terminal from the relay holder. I can not remember
                        > which one but I can check mine if you want to.
                        >
                        > kaz

                      • Ron Kall
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 16, 2006
                          There are posts on the net on how to:

                          use a vega pump for the in-tank fuel
                          pump replacement. I did mine for less
                          than $30.00. That included a new pump,
                          screen mesh thing, tie wrapped to my old
                          frame. I did it on my 1986 528e about 3
                          years and 50k miles ago.

                          good luck!

                          --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:

                          > Oh, I almost forgot. A member of chat group has parts too, and can usaully beat most
                          > parthouses on price and shipping. Steve Haygood in Georgia. sfhaygood@...
                          >
                          > p.s. dont waste your money on a mechanic, like I did on in-tank pump, mechanic also
                          > ripped me off with price of parts, besides doing shoddy work. Do it yourself. you can
                          > pick up an in-tank pump for under 100 bucks, make sure you get new gasget, and check
                          > condition of old mounting nuts and replace if rusty.
                          >
                          > good luck
                          >

                          > --- In bmwe28@..., "Nick A. Davis - Detour Memphis" <nadavis02@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Good Day!!
                          > > Yeah I am going to start with the fuel pump relay - I have a repair and trying to
                          > locate the relay now. Is it by the fuses in the engine. I have a 1985 528e. When I was
                          > checking the book under problems the in-tank fuel pump kept coming up in the list of
                          > possible problems.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your help!!
                          > >

                          > > bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@y...> wrote:
                          > > NICHOLAS
                          > >
                          > > if your lucky, it's only the fuel pump relay, but
                          > > more likely it's the in-tank fuel pump. check ARIZONA autohaus.com
                          > > bosch in-line pump is most likley ok, or car might not even start.
                          > >

                          > > --- In bmwe28@..., "Nicholas" <nadavis02@y...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Good Day!!
                          > > > I got my usual mechanic to change my fuel filter and now the car
                          > > > stalls after first cranking and when running it dies at red lights.
                          > > > This problem was happening before but not that frequent. Where should
                          > > > I start?
                          > > >
                          > > > Nicholas
                          > > >

                          > > Thanks,
                          > > Nick A. Davis
                          > > Director
                          > > Detour Memphis - Online Magazine
                          > >

                          > > Check Out the BLOG - The World of Nick A. Davis
                          > >
                          > > A Starr On The Moon Production Video Site

                          Ron Kall
                          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                          1986 528e
                          1985 535i
                        • kaz@mydenpo.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 17, 2006
                            I attached some picts.
                            If you ground a green cable at relay, you will hear pump noise when the
                            ignition is on. If you don't hear, check the voltage at the fuse.
                            If you do not get voltage there, it will be a bad fuel pump relay or a main
                            relay.
                            If you get voltage, it will be the pump.

                            You can check the fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump directory to a 12 volt
                            source.

                            Kaz