1986 524TD

  • skyfly44kk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2006
      I have the model in which i replaced the timing belt after very
      carefully marking everything. It will start and run as long as i keep
      my foot on the pedal.. take the foot off and it just dies.....refuses
      to idle... anyone out there with the expertise to get this thing up and
      idling properly? the old belt was stretched about 1/4" but had i not
      replaced it it would be junk now. even though it is not running.any
      expert advice will definitly be appreciated.......
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2006
        suppose you could adjust throttle, until you figure out idle problem.. ?

        524 TD ? 2.4 liter turbo diesal ??

        --- In bmwe28@..., "skyfly44kk" <skyfly44kk@y...> wrote:

        > I have the model in which i replaced the timing belt after very
        > carefully marking everything. It will start and run as long as i keep
        > my foot on the pedal.. take the foot off and it just dies.....refuses
        > to idle... anyone out there with the expertise to get this thing up and
        > idling properly? the old belt was stretched about 1/4" but had i not
        > replaced it it would be junk now. even though it is not running.any
        > expert advice will definitly be appreciated.......

      • jim clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2006
          I had attempted your solution, but refuses to sit at any rpm and stabilise. Bought a Manual in a bookshop in Kingswinford in the w mids, of all places, but nothing on adjustment procedures. Very little data seems to be out there for this configuration....
          but thanks for reply....

          bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:
          suppose you could adjust throttle, until you figure out idle problem.. ?

          524 TD ? 2.4 liter turbo diesal ??

          --- In bmwe28@..., "skyfly44kk" <skyfly44kk@y...> wrote:

          > I have the model in which i replaced the timing belt after very
          > carefully marking everything. It will start and run as long as i keep
          > my foot on the pedal.. take the foot off and it just dies.....refuses
          > to idle... anyone out there with the expertise to get this thing up and
          > idling properly? the old belt was stretched about 1/4" but had i not
          > replaced it it would be junk now. even though it is not running.any
          > expert advice will definitly be appreciated.......

        • KK P
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2006
            Hello Group,
            My Inspection Indicator is on with 3 red lights
            glowing below it. Does anyone know what this could
            mean?
            Thanks,
            Keith 1984 533i