clutch slave rebuild

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2006
      I recently rebuilt the slave cylinder. I bled it while it was removed from
      the engine (bleeder valve tipped up) using a vacuum bleeder. Over time it
      appears to be still sucking air. When cold the clutch engages right at the
      bottom, and seems to approach normal when warm.

      Did I miss something when I installed the rebuild kit?

      Should I remove the car from the slave (again) and polish the cylinder with
      emery cloth? Given that the problem diminishes as it heats up is it possible
      thatthe master cylinder is pooched? The car has 150kmi, recent clutch and
      hose from the resevoir to the clutch master cylinder.

      Regards,

      doug
    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
        Same thing happened to me when I rebuilt(cold/warm
        operation and travel at bottom of pedal. Wear works
        like the weakest link in a chain and you said the
        clutch was replaced...I wonder if using dot 5 brake
        fluid like the kind that comes in the big square can
        would treat it differently? I forget who produces ATE
        prob. Did you bleed it on the car? At first you have
        to pick the pedal up but it gets better as it fills w/
        fluid.
        Good Luck,
        jforbey@...

        --- doug dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        > I recently rebuilt the slave cylinder. I bled it
        > while it was removed from
        > the engine (bleeder valve tipped up) using a vacuum
        > bleeder. Over time it
        > appears to be still sucking air. When cold the
        > clutch engages right at the
        > bottom, and seems to approach normal when warm.
        >
        > Did I miss something when I installed the rebuild
        > kit?
        >
        > Should I remove the car from the slave (again) and
        > polish the cylinder with
        > emery cloth? Given that the problem diminishes as it
        > heats up is it possible
        > thatthe master cylinder is pooched? The car has
        > 150kmi, recent clutch and
        > hose from the resevoir to the clutch master
        > cylinder.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > doug

      • doug dykaar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
          John,

          I used cheap DOT 4 fluid. This aint no track weapon. You can't mix 4 and 5
          (silicone). The pedal was pulled up w/ a bungee cord and the slave was
          removed from the engine to allow both a slightly longer extension of the
          piston as well as orienting the bleed valve at the highest point of the
          assembly. It was great for a while, but appears to be sucking air over time.

          When I had the master out, it was because I broke off the plastic nipple
          where the supply hose is attached (cheap part even at the stealership)
          trying to get the rotted hose off. I can't recall now if I did anything
          special when I reinstalled. I'm pretty sure I added fluid after it was back
          on the car. I must've past more than a gallon of brake fluid through there
          by now...

          -doug

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2006
            Doug, I work on BMWs and Porsches as well as other stuff. I always do the salve and master at the same time. The incidence of failure the unit that I didn't replace or rebuild within a month's time has been 100%. I learned to just do both at the same time. Same water and dirt content in both master and slave. Usually the same damage. -Dave RuizIf you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William Stephens When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." --Author Unknown

            To: bmw@...; bmwe28@...: ddykaar@...: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:28:36 -0400Subject: [bmw e28] <e28> clutch slave rebuildI recently rebuilt the slave cylinder. I bled it while it was removed fromthe engine (bleeder valve tipped up) using a vacuum bleeder. Over time itappears to be still sucking air. When cold the clutch engages right at thebottom, and seems to approach normal when warm.Did I miss something when I installed the rebuild kit?Should I remove the car from the slave (again) and polish the cylinder withemery cloth? Given that the problem diminishes as it heats up is it possiblethatthe master cylinder is pooched? The car has 150kmi, recent clutch andhose from the resevoir to the clutch master cylinder.Regards,doug
          • Ron Kall
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2006
              Doug,

              Is not the clutch slave a $30.00 part?
              Why would you want to rebuild it/

              take care,

              --- dave ruiz <daveruiz50@...> wrote:

              > Doug, I work on BMWs and Porsches as well as other stuff. I always do the salve and master at
              > the same time. The incidence of failure the unit that I didn't replace or rebuild within a
              > month's time has been 100%. I learned to just do both at the same time. Same water and dirt
              > content in both master and slave. Usually the same damage. -Dave RuizIf you plant poison ivy,
              > you won't harvest strawberries. - William Stephens When I die, I want to die like my
              > grandfather-- who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his
              > car." --Author Unknown
              >

              > To: bmw@...; bmwe28@...: ddykaar@...: Thu, 27 Jul 2006
              > 14:28:36 -0400Subject: [bmw e28] <e28> clutch slave rebuildI recently rebuilt the slave
              > cylinder. I bled it while it was removed fromthe engine (bleeder valve tipped up) using a vacuum
              > bleeder. Over time itappears to be still sucking air. When cold the clutch engages right at
              > thebottom, and seems to approach normal when warm.Did I miss something when I installed the
              > rebuild kit?Should I remove the car from the slave (again) and polish the cylinder withemery
              > cloth? Given that the problem diminishes as it heats up is it possiblethatthe master cylinder is
              > pooched? The car has 150kmi, recent clutch andhose from the resevoir to the clutch master
              > cylinder.Regards,doug

              Ron Kall
              Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

              1986 528e