wheels...

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2006
      Hi from New Zealand,
      love my '86 535i but am so rubbish with the most basic tech stuff.
      the wheels i have on at the moment are 15's i think. the tires are
      225,60,r15. just wondering what wheel/tire combos are good for e28's
      without having to modify. any advice greatly appreciated.
      also my tail lights are fine but the brake light warning LED is always
      popping up. is this common or is my car about to plow into a ditch.
      Cheers in advance
      Tom
    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2006
        Tom,
        The brake pedal controls a first-time-pressed return
        function for the On-Board-Computer. On mine it says
        it in the manual. My yellow hazard light at the
        middle of the panel will continue to flash as well as
        the red brake light beacon on the panel between the
        sun visors until I press the brake pedal. This was
        also in the operator's manual.
        I think that the on-board comp., when it checks the
        circuits for the brake lights for continuity, either
        fails to find continuity or maybe there is a sender
        for the brake pedal which is located behind the
        under-dash cover that might be inoperative. This
        happened to me and I just changed the little switch
        either behind or right next to the pedal bar.
        -Just trying to cover whatever,
        John Forbey
        jforbey@...

        --- Tom <tomgeddes@...> wrote:

        > Hi from New Zealand,
        > love my '86 535i but am so rubbish with the most
        > basic tech stuff.
        > the wheels i have on at the moment are 15's i think.
        > the tires are
        > 225,60,r15. just wondering what wheel/tire combos
        > are good for e28's
        > without having to modify. any advice greatly
        > appreciated.
        > also my tail lights are fine but the brake light
        > warning LED is always
        > popping up. is this common or is my car about to
        > plow into a ditch.
        > Cheers in advance
        > Tom

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2006
          Tom

          brake light LED may be a result of brake wear sensors not hooked up, or wire/s broken.

          many E28's in the u.s. come stock with 195/70-14" tires

          I have a set of 225/60-15" tires/rims off a 750i
          I also have stock 14" with 195/70's
          and a set of 205/70's on 15" rims- a good compromise

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Tom" <tomgeddes@p...> wrote:

          > Hi from New Zealand,
          > love my '86 535i but am so rubbish with the most basic tech stuff.
          > the wheels i have on at the moment are 15's i think. the tires are
          > 225,60,r15. just wondering what wheel/tire combos are good for e28's
          > without having to modify. any advice greatly appreciated.
          > also my tail lights are fine but the brake light warning LED is always
          > popping up. is this common or is my car about to plow into a ditch.
          > Cheers in advance
          > Tom

        • Gil Thereault