RE: [bmw e28] clutch slave rebuild

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2006
      Ron,

      The slave kit was half that. Its the seal that goes bad. I hate to waste. If
      I had bought a rebuilt unit, I would have felt obligated to keep the old one
      forever.

      Now we're up to the master. I'm told they should be done at the same time.
      Some mornings there is no clutch at all until the engine warms up, sometimes
      its just low. When I did the slave and bled it it was fine. Clutch was done
      recently, so the clutch master should be the last link (except for the bomb
      and brake master...)

      Prices for the master (whole) appear to be around $90CDN, and thats too
      much.

      Regards,

      doug

      85 535
      86 951
      94 855 turbo

      Doug,

      Is not the clutch slave a $30.00 part?
      Why would you want to rebuild it/

      take care,

      Ron Kall
      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

      1986 528e
      1985 535i
    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2006
        Doug,

        Thanks for the tip on the slave. I was away when
        mine failed. My son called a local shop, and for
        $1,300.00 or so I had a new master, new slave,
        and something else done. I figured I could have
        bought the parts for less than $200.00. I was pretty
        bummed, but could not get back to town to manage the
        repair myself.

        take care,

        --- doug dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > The slave kit was half that. Its the seal that goes bad. I hate to waste. If
        > I had bought a rebuilt unit, I would have felt obligated to keep the old one
        > forever.
        >
        > Now we're up to the master. I'm told they should be done at the same time.
        > Some mornings there is no clutch at all until the engine warms up, sometimes
        > its just low. When I did the slave and bled it it was fine. Clutch was done
        > recently, so the clutch master should be the last link (except for the bomb
        > and brake master...)
        >
        > Prices for the master (whole) appear to be around $90CDN, and thats too
        > much.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > doug
        >
        > 85 535