RE: [bmw e28] 1984 E28 no start

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
      On Tuesday 29 August 2006 5:29 PM, madm1ckey83 wrote:
      > Hi i have a 1984 e28 520 i and its been fine up till
      yesterday when it
      > wouldnt start, it dosnt tick over any more all the
      lights come on when
      > u turn the key but its dosnt tick,any ideas??

      Shortly after I got the 528e, the starter motor died.
      Replaced that. Had the shop, at the time, do it. (I
      recently replaced a dead starter motor myself in my
      M3.)

      But then the ignition key started getting wobbly. To
      the point where it was difficult to start the 528e.
      It worked in the ON position but not START.

      I rigged up a start button on the dash. Just like a
      Honda S2000!

      cheers,
      Blake

      88 E30 M3 diamond black, steel brake lines,
      performance pads and rotors, Raven DTM exhaust
      84 E28 528e sapphire blue, shocks, sway bars, K&N
      air filter, limited-slip, steel brake lines,
      leather seats (front)
      84 E28 528e rusty brown, pushing up daisies
    • mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
        hi cheers for the info,my mate was on about putting a start and stop button in the car,but didnt know how. any ideas on how to do it ? thanks

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
          On Wednesday 30 August 2006 4:02 PM, mike wrote:
          > hi cheers for the info,my mate was on about putting
          a start and stop button
          > in the car,but didnt know how. any ideas on how to
          do it ?

          With the Bentley manual, I was able to determine the
          wires from the steering wheel column harness for the
          starting circuit to cut into. I picked up the wiring
          near the connector above the pedals.

          I don't know if the online ETM might have this info as
          well...

          cheers,
          Blake
        • doug dykaar
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
            Check the wire(s) leading to the starter. If they get corroded, like mine
            did, you can get a no start, like mine did (when warm at first).

            Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:29:26 -0000
            From: "madm1ckey83" <dolphin02@...>
            Subject: 1984 E28