RE: [bmw e28] steering shakes but not balancing?

  • M Zulfikar Karim
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
      hi, I think you should check the tie-rod and bull-joint and
      try spooring the wheels. if it doesn't work, check front wheel bearing
      and front wheel axis

      regards,

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
        I had the same problems with my tires. The car I have
        (88 535is) has Italian rims and had them balanced many
        times. Had the rims alone balanced and then had the
        tires mounted and balanced. All 4 of my tires ended up
        having bad tread wear on insides and always seemed
        noisy and displayed vibration in the wheels. But my
        BBS rims and tires wear great with no noise or
        vibration. Go figure.
        Jerry
        86 535i
        88 535is

        --- M Zulfikar Karim <izoel@...> wrote:

        > hi, I think you should check the tie-rod and
        > bull-joint and
        > try spooring the wheels. if it doesn't work, check
        > front wheel bearing
        > and front wheel axis
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > ________________________________

      • M Zulfikar Karim
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
          when the tires ended up having bad tread wear on insides
          there are possibilities that the car would have chamber
          setting mistakenly. (see picture B on attachment)

          regards,
          Izoel
          '84 520i

          ________________________________

          I had the same problems with my tires. The car I have
          (88 535is) has Italian rims and had them balanced many
          times. Had the rims alone balanced and then had the
          tires mounted and balanced. All 4 of my tires ended up
          having bad tread wear on insides and always seemed
          noisy and displayed vibration in the wheels. But my
          BBS rims and tires wear great with no noise or
          vibration. Go figure.
          Jerry
          86 535i
          88 535is

          --- M Zulfikar Karim <izoel@...> wrote:

          > hi, I think you should check the tie-rod and
          > bull-joint and
          > try spooring the wheels. if it doesn't work, check
          > front wheel bearing
          > and front wheel axis
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Gerald Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
            thanks for the info, too bad that once the tires start
            wearing badly, it continues

          • Dan McNarry
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
              Jerry,

              I have an 85 535i and occasionally I get a shake in the steering wheel just
              as you describe. I've traced it to a sticking left front brake caliper. The
              car is in otherwise excellent condition. It didn't do it consistently but if
              it was in shake mode I just had to stab the brakes hard and release quickly
              and the shake would go away. As you say, go figure!

              Regards,

              Dan

              thanks for the info, too bad that once the tires start
              wearing badly, it continues
              --- M Zulfikar Karim <izoel@...> wrote:

              > when the tires ended up having bad tread wear on
              > insides
              > there are possibilities that the car would have
              > chamber
              > setting mistakenly. (see picture B on attachment)
              >
              > regards,
              > Izoel
              > '84 520i
              >
              > ________________________________

            • sunny vadher

                I had the same problems with my tires. The car I have
                (88 535is) has Italian rims and had them balanced many
                times. Had the rims alone balanced and then had the
                tires mounted and balanced. All 4 of my tires ended up
                having bad tread wear on insides and always seemed
                noisy and displayed vibration in the wheels. But my
                BBS rims and tires wear great with no noise or
                vibration. Go figure.
                Jerry
                86 535i
                88 535is

                --- M Zulfikar Karim <izoel@...> wrote:

                > hi, I think you should check the tie-rod and
                > bull-joint and
                > try spooring the wheels. if it doesn't work, check
                > front wheel bearing
                > and front wheel axis
                >
                > regards,
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Jeff Johns
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Hi All,

                  The problems that you are all describing are not uncommon.
                  Steering shudder at about 47-50 MPH (75-80)KPH.
                  This is often caused by the failure of bushes in the
                  steering/suspension. The answer is to get the bushes replaced. You can
                  use the original standard bushes or you can get a superior type that
                  also lasts much longer from Frank Fahey Motorsport.
                  www.frankfaheymotorsports.com

                  Regards Jeff J