Fuel leak on start up

  • ayer4ce1
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
      Folks,

      I recently purchased a 1988 535i and have begun the process of
      rebuild. After doing basic tune-up stuff (changing out the spark
      plugs, distributor cap, etc.), I noticed a fuel leak on start up. It
      looked like it was coming directly from the fuel rail but I couldn't
      pin point it since it only occurred at start up. Also noticed that
      the injector nearest the firewall was in poor shape. Could this be
      the culprit? Any suggestions?

      Thanks,
    • Joel T. Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2006
        Look at the incoming hose that is at the firewall that connects the hard steel line to the fuel rail. This hose is a small flex hose but with age becomes brittle with heat. Are the bolts that secure your fuel rail tight enough but not too tight either? Maybe one of the fuel injector o-rings is bad?

        Sincerely,

        Joel T. Gonzalez

        ayer4ce1 <no_reply@...> wrote:
        Folks,

        I recently purchased a 1988 535i and have begun the process of
        rebuild. After doing basic tune-up stuff (changing out the spark
        plugs, distributor cap, etc.), I noticed a fuel leak on start up. It
        looked like it was coming directly from the fuel rail but I couldn't
        pin point it since it only occurred at start up. Also noticed that
        the injector nearest the firewall was in poor shape. Could this be
        the culprit? Any suggestions?

        Thanks,

      • john holst
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
          One possibility could be a faulty injector,the injector has a 'O' ring top and bottom where it seals against the fuel rail and the manifold it can be fine ,But the internals of the injector leak .When you turn the key to start up the pump the pressure is high in the system which is normal but the injector has not released that pressure untill the engine is actually running.

        • Kevin Ayer
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2006
            Hello,

            Does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove and replace the cold
            start valve on my 1988 535i (E28)? For the life of me, I cannot
            figure out how to access the two bolts that hold in the cold start
            valve. The bolt heads are too close to the cold start valve housing
            so I am having difficulty finding a tool to remove them.

            Thanks,

            Kevin

          • john holst

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2006
                John,

                That's what I've concluded. I have the open end box wrench but my
                arm does not bend at the right places to get under the manifold (I
                need to bend at the mid-point of my forearm... very painful
                prospect... not one I anticipate doing).

                I guess the only other option is to take it to the BMW mechanic in
                town and pay the cost.

                Thanks for the recommendation, though.

                Best regards,

                Kevin