Key snapped inside door keyhole!

  • Angel Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2006
      Yesterday, while opening my 88 E28, I apparently turned the key before
      sticking it in completely and the key snapped inside. Luckyly, I had
      a spare... inside the glove compartment!!

      After thinking about it, the solution was simple. I pushed the piece
      of the key into the cylinder with the house keys and turned it and
      Voila! The car opened.

      Now I have a problem, how do I remove the broken piece now? The car
      can now be opened by almost any flathead screwdriver and almost any key!!!

      I guess the whole lock cylinder has to come out from inside the door,
      right? Anyone everhad this problem?
    • Blake Nancarrow
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2006
        Quoting Angel Rodriguez <hm_racing_pr@...>:

        > Now I have a problem, how do I remove the broken piece now? The car
        > can now be opened by almost any flathead screwdriver and almost any key!!!

        Where do you live? ;-)

        cheers,
        Blake

        1984 528e Allegria
        1984 528e Mr. Brown
        1988 M3 Flo Jo

        (sent via Computer Ease webmail while at Nexient Richmond Hill)
      • BudBuilt
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2006
          I have used a set of small hooked picks or tweezers to remove a broken key
          before. That might do it. Otherwise, you are correct, remove the lock
          cylinder and disassemble it on the bench.

          Or, you can move to a no crime area and leave it alone! :)
          Our van and truck both work with a screwdriver or ANY key! :(
          HTH!
          Bud

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
              Thanks everyone for the sugestions!

              Problem is that the key piece is COMPLETELY inside... the metal flap
              is closed and everything!

              And BTW I live and work on a low crime area so no worries there! You
              cant see the piece, eveything looks normal on the outside.

              This weekend I will take a look inside the door.

              --- In bmwe28@..., "Joel T. Gonzalez"
              <purplehead2002@y...> wrote:

              > Can you use a small modified Allen wrench where you can hook on
              to the broken piece stuck inside? Modified in the sense of grinding
              away the end on the Allen wrench but not all where you still have an
              "L" shape but no longer as exaggerated at the small end. This might
              work but you need to figure out which is the smallest Allen wrench you
              can fit into that hole.

              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Joel T.
              Gonzalez