head bolts loose/oil and coolant leak?

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2006
      OK, the weeping appears to be coming from the head/block at the back and on
      the intake side, where its been invisible. I changed the heater hoses there
      (and moved them off the block), so now I can see where its weeping from.

      I thought the head gasket would last forever? What happened to these engines
      doing 300k miles?

      So, do the head bolts back off? Many other bolts on this car have, so I'm
      wondering if it might not be the head gasket. I guess I need to look at the
      plugs to see if they're wet. I could pull the valve cover and re-tourque the
      head bolts (check the valve clearances while I'm in there).

      Anybody loctite the head bolts?

      Regards,

      doug
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
        doug

        which car, year , miles ?
        wet plugs might indicate different sort of problems
        some of members are mechanics
        figure out who and direct your concerns

        --- In bmwe28@..., "doug dykaar" <ddykaar@r...> wrote:

        > OK, the weeping appears to be coming from the head/block at the back and on
        > the intake side, where its been invisible. I changed the heater hoses there
        > (and moved them off the block), so now I can see where its weeping from.
        >
        > I thought the head gasket would last forever? What happened to these engines
        > doing 300k miles?
        >
        > So, do the head bolts back off? Many other bolts on this car have, so I'm
        > wondering if it might not be the head gasket. I guess I need to look at the
        > plugs to see if they're wet. I could pull the valve cover and re-tourque the
        > head bolts (check the valve clearances while I'm in there).
        >
        > Anybody loctite the head bolts?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > doug

      • john holst

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006
            Yep - my 533i had the same oil leak at the cover plate - I think i
            remember it having a so-called duck gasket (because of it's shape).
            Also has a single bolt that goes through an oil area and takes a
            special sealing bolt. Real fun to R&R, hard to see.
            Tom