Power Steering, Brakes

  • jforbey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2006
      At first there was just a click that was timed with the engine rpm at
      idle. This progressed to a power steering pump-like noise that made a
      grinding style noise that sounded when braking or steering or when the
      pressure switch cycled. Has anyone heard this? I changed the pump
      but is doing worse now. Any hints?
      jforbey@...
    • Gil Thereault
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2006
        There is a donut shaped filter at the very bottom of the PS reservoir. Remove fluid, Remove e-clips inside to access the filter. It will take your you less than 1 hours. Part less $20.00 US.

        86 535i 191k
        Gil

        jforbey <jforbey@...> wrote: At first there was just a click that was timed with the engine rpm at
        idle. This progressed to a power steering pump-like noise that made a
        grinding style noise that sounded when braking or steering or when the
        pressure switch cycled. Has anyone heard this? I changed the pump
        but is doing worse now. Any hints?
        jforbey@...

      • John Forbey
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2006
          Dear Mr. Thereault,
          I ended up changing my pump before I got your filter,
          but you saved me a lot of grief-I would not have known
          there was a filter there if you had not replied. I
          got the filter out and sure enough at the point the
          filter was over the 'to pump' low pressure hose there
          was a perfect circle of contamination! The next thing
          I had in mind was the hydraulic switch junction behind
          the master cylinder! Thank you so much again-I really
          wish I could do something for your help.

          Thanks Again,
          John F. Forbey
          P.S. Do you ever hear much about performance chipping
          a 008 ecu?