upper control (thrust) arm?

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 6 , 3 Nov 14:44
      OK kids, the shimmy is back, and exacerbated by the snows, what could use a
      rebalance. I was able to move the upper thrust arm around on the bushing by
      prying at it with a screwdriver, so I assume its separated completely. 50k
      miles ago I did the whole front end, all the control arms, and then the
      steering linkage the sway bars and end links since.

      The drivers side thrust arm is completely shot as it clanks on steering. At
      least its captured by design.

      Question is, does it pay to try and replace the just the bushings, or should
      I pop for the whole arm? Anybody pressed these in and out in bench vise?

      I'm looking to unload the car in the next 6 months as the wife said a 540 is
      in the budget...

      Regards,

      doug

      85 535
      86 951
      94 855 turbo
    • Steve Haygood
      Message 2 of 6 , 3 Nov 15:08
        Meyle complete arm is about 72 complete and the bushings are 25 a set ,
        Stock bushings are 10 a pair from take offs from arms that I have replaced
        them from

        Steve Haygood
        BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
        03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
        03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
        www.stevehaygood.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , 3 Nov 21:26
          I used a small press to press the bushings out...i
          wonder if the 750i bushings are much better but I
          guess they would take more abuse. Just curious, has
          anyone seen an adjustable ecu for a 533i? I heard
          about one...supposed to have different switched
          settings.
          jforbey@...

          (http://voice.yahoo.com)
        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 6 , 3 Nov 22:00
            All Motronic ECU's had fuel quality switches included.You could adjust
            timing and fuel injector duration if the quality of the fuel was too low to
            support proper operation of the engine. Unfortunately the timing could only
            be retarded not advanced. Fuel mixture could be richened by up t0 6% as I
            recall however, but never in conjunction with an advance in timing.

            Steve Haygood
            BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
            03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
            www.stevehaygood.com

            _____

            I used a small press to press the bushings out...i
            wonder if the 750i bushings are much better but I
            guess they would take more abuse. Just curious, has
            anyone seen an adjustable ecu for a 533i? I heard
            about one...supposed to have different switched
            settings.
            jforbey@...

            --- Steve Haygood <sfhaygood@...> wrote:

            > Meyle complete arm is about 72 complete and the
            > bushings are 25 a set ,
            > Stock bushings are 10 a pair from take offs from
            > arms that I have replaced
            > them from
            >
            > Steve Haygood
            > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
            > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
            > www.stevehaygood.com
            >

            > _____

            ________
            Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap PC-to-Phone call
            rates
            (http://voice.yahoo.com)

          • John Forbey
            Message 5 of 6 , 4 Nov 21:03
              Well, I hate to hear this because I cannot find an
              outside switch or any type of control. Do you have
              any tips you could share with me about the
              adjustments?

              (http://voice.yahoo.com)
            • Steve Haygood
              Message 6 of 6 , 5 Nov 08:41
                it can be accessed by a removable (punch out) or take the case apart and
                look along the edge