87 528e starts 70% of the time

  • ricmullaly
    Message 1 of 6 , 5 Nov 14:38
      Hi,

      Any ideas? When it won't start, it does turn over so there is juice
      to the starter - but it won't catch. Then one hour later it may start
      right up -- or not. Has a new battery and connections to battery are
      good. I brought it in for a complete tune up thinking it was probably
      wires or plugs, but the same thing is still happening. Thanks for any
      leads. Rick
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 6 , 5 Nov 16:52
        sounds a lot like a fuel issue. if you're lucky,loose/corroded fuel pmp fuse, and or main fuel
        pump relay(square shaped/may be marked/typicslly on yank models, its the first relay/

        a. start car and discoonnect first relay, if it dies that is either fuel or system relay (?)
        b. more likely, in-tank fuel pump("pre"-pump), which inturn will put extraw strain on in-line
        bosch style preasure line pump, or so i am told

        --- In bmwe28@..., "ricmullaly" <ricmullaly@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Any ideas? When it won't start, it does turn over so there is juice
        > to the starter - but it won't catch. Then one hour later it may start
        > right up -- or not. Has a new battery and connections to battery are
        > good. I brought it in for a complete tune up thinking it was probably
        > wires or plugs, but the same thing is still happening. Thanks for any
        > leads. Rick

      • doug dykaar
        Message 3 of 6 , 6 Nov 05:23
          Rick,

          Check those relays along the inside of the fuse box. The middle one is the
          fuel pump. I just replaced mine and the NEW one went intermittent. I have a
          jumper made from a wire with a pair of spade lugs to make the connection
          always on. Car started right up. I replaced the new relay with the old one.
          Haven't taken the bad one apart yet.

          Regards,

          doug

          85 535
          86 951
          94 855 turbo

          Message 4 of 6 , 8 Nov 03:33
            rick

            another fuel symtom, is to check for corrosion on pre-pump connections....in trunk (boot)
            there is a small round access plate, easilt removed can give an indication of any corrosion on
            pre-pump connection/s --cheers

            --- In bmwe28@..., "ricmullaly" <ricmullaly@y...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Any ideas? When it won't start, it does turn over so there is juice
            > to the starter - but it won't catch. Then one hour later it may start
            > right up -- or not. Has a new battery and connections to battery are
            > good. I brought it in for a complete tune up thinking it was probably
            > wires or plugs, but the same thing is still happening. Thanks for any
            > leads. Rick

          • Tery Wood Sr.
            Message 5 of 6 , 10 Nov 11:30
              --- In bmwe28@..., "ricmullaly" <ricmullaly@...> wrote:
              >Sound like you are going through the same process I did with my 85,
              Fo me it was a clogged fuel sock in the tank. It ended up blowing the
              pmp befor I was able to fix the problem. You can check it by going
              into the trunk open the panel, then taking out the fuel pump assy. the
              sock will caos about 10 to 20 euros, fuel pump usually over 100
              > Hi,
              >
              > Any ideas? When it won't start, it does turn over so there is juice
              > to the starter - but it won't catch. Then one hour later it may
              start
              > right up -- or not. Has a new battery and connections to battery
              are
              > good. I brought it in for a complete tune up thinking it was
              probably
              > wires or plugs, but the same thing is still happening. Thanks for
              any
              > leads. Rick

            • bimmernutjob
              Message 6 of 6 , 11 Nov 00:08
                YES, it sounds like the "in-tank" or "pre-pump" fuel pump. In my experience with the
                business of waiting an hour, then it starts, usually indicated some type of fuel injection
                problem. I suppose if you are lucky, it's only a clogged fuel pump (?). You can always
                check the connections on the in-tank pump-and it won't cost you a cent- in the boot
                (trunk), under carpet is an access panel-round about 9" in diameter-remove screws-and
                inspect connections-be careful not to damage connections-GOOD LUCK- also if this pump
                needs replacing-do it yourself and save money !!!