rear shock removal?

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 4 , 25 Nov 14:03
      So I'm tryin ta remove the car from the rear shock, on account of the
      banging over bumps and I bought new upper mounts, and the bolt on the bottom
      comes out, but the shock is still on the hub good.

      I see from the picture on da web that the bottom bushing has a metal center
      tube that sticks out and goes into the hub. I'm loath to liquid wrench it as
      I want to reuse the bottom bushing.

      Pry bars and banging haven't worked. If I stick a rod (or use the attacment
      bolt), will I be able to wiggle the metal bushing tube out of the hub?

      Regards,

      doug

      85 535
      86 951
      94 855 turbo
    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 4 , 25 Nov 22:07
        I noticed that when I took mine off that end that
        sticks into the hub might be sensitive to whether you
        have the wheel jacked up. Might be binding there. I
        think I raised the whole wheel off the ground from the
        frame between the trailing arm bushings and it was
        alot easier.
        jforbey@...
        --- doug dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        > So I'm tryin ta remove the car from the rear shock,
        > on account of the
        > banging over bumps and I bought new upper mounts,
        > and the bolt on the bottom
        > comes out, but the shock is still on the hub good.
        >
        > I see from the picture on da web that the bottom
        > bushing has a metal center
        > tube that sticks out and goes into the hub. I'm
        > loath to liquid wrench it as
        > I want to reuse the bottom bushing.
        >
        > Pry bars and banging haven't worked. If I stick a
        > rod (or use the attacment
        > bolt), will I be able to wiggle the metal bushing
        > tube out of the hub?
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > doug
        >
        > 85 535
        > 86 951
        > 94 855 turbo

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • john holst
        Message 3 of 4 , 27 Nov 02:22
          Hi the best way to remove the rear shocks ,would be raise the car so the rear hub has no
          weight bearing down on it ,but have a block close under the hub so to support it when the shock
          seperates. (don't tear the lower rubber bush if you want to reuse the shock) good luck John from Oz.

          Message 4 of 4 , 27 Nov 03:17
            The best way I found was similar to below. Put the car up on stands,
            then take the pressure off the shock by jacking up under the lower arm.
            Cheers.