Heater Problems

  • yp_paul_lawton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hello, I'm Paul from Lawton, Oklahoma, USA. I have been getting this
      group's daily email digest for a while and have found the advice very
      useful. I have a problem that I feel that you all can help me with.

      I have a 1983 528e and the heater does not blow warm air. I have heard
      that this may be a solenoid, but have not been able to find anything
      conclusive. The blower works, but regardless of where the temperature
      dial is set, it just blows ambient temperature air. I know the AC
      needs a charge, so I am not concerned about it cooling, but here in
      the dead of winter, I would really like some heat. Any ideas? Thanks,
      Paul.
    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        Paul,

        On your car there is a heater line solenoid on the
        firewall in the engine compartment. This thing works
        as a heater water regulator controlled by the
        temperature knob on the left of the upper console.
        Mine was like that when I bought the car. You can buy
        the rebuild kit if you please but I don't think the
        solenoid is very expensive. My car engine temp would
        be warm but the fan blowing cold air inside. The
        valve just sticks closed.

        Beneficially,
        jforbey@...

        --- yp_paul_lawton <paul.harrop@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I'm Paul from Lawton, Oklahoma, USA. I have
        > been getting this
        > group's daily email digest for a while and have
        > found the advice very
        > useful. I have a problem that I feel that you all
        > can help me with.
        >
        > I have a 1983 528e and the heater does not blow warm
        > air. I have heard
        > that this may be a solenoid, but have not been able
        > to find anything
        > conclusive. The blower works, but regardless of
        > where the temperature
        > dial is set, it just blows ambient temperature air.
        > I know the AC
        > needs a charge, so I am not concerned about it
        > cooling, but here in
        > the dead of winter, I would really like some heat.
        > Any ideas? Thanks,
        > Paul.

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • doug dykaar
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          Mine had the same issue, and I replaced the internal bits. Now its going
          intermittant again and its WAY cold (inside and outside). Replace the
          solenoid internals ($20), and clean out the grunge.

          Regards,

          doug

          85 535
          86 951
          94 855 turbo
        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            Put a Bosch unit in it this time and it will last longer, price 35.00

            Steve Haygood
            BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
            03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
            www.stevehaygood.com

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2006
              1983 533i

              this past summer, the heater solenoid (electrical connector) wires melted, I replaced the
              connector and solenoid guts from one of my parts cars, no problems since.
              Does anyone have a clue what could cause this ?

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2006
                If the windings in the solenoid short together then the coil resistance goes
                down. With less resistance, the current goes up. The heat is dissapated as
                IxIxR (IsquaredR), so a little extra resistance at the contacts will make
                them even hotter.

                I've seen big bolts melt in a Big gas laser power supply from a little
                corrosion, and the a magnet coil fail from the above scenario. Just be glad
                the wires melted before the windings caught fire like my laser did... BTDT.

                My heater valve is sticking again after I replaced the solenoid, but I don't
                think I pulled the whole assembly off to clean it when I chaged the guts
                last time. First I have to swap in the correct thrust arm...

                Regards,

                doug PhD (EE) (Piled higher and Deeper)

                85 535
                86 951