Intermittant miss

  • jamesgannone
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
      After 1 and 1/2 hours of freeway driving @ 70 mph the 1986 528e misses
      intermittantly. anyone with ideas? Have tried better gas now its down
      to finding an ignition weakness or fuel (less likely, I think)problem.
    • doug dykaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
        James,

        Could be the fuel pressure regulator. Mine went full on, very high pressure.
        Intermittant and it would run like crap, try and stall. Its easy to swap
        out, so naturally I did the in-tank fuel pump first...

        Regards,

        doug

        85 535
        86 951
        94 855 turbo
      • james gannone

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
            Fuel problem is what came to mind for me, as well. I had the in-tank(pre pump) go out
            on one of my 528e's and it acted up very similiar to what you described. Mine would just
            stop pumping fuel, and if it sat for at least 10 minutes, it would go again.

            good luck-bimmernutty

            --- In bmwe28@..., "doug dykaar" <ddykaar@...> wrote:

            > James,
            >
            > Could be the fuel pressure regulator. Mine went full on, very high pressure.
            > Intermittant and it would run like crap, try and stall. Its easy to swap
            > out, so naturally I did the in-tank fuel pump first...
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > doug
            >
            > 85 535
            > 86 951
            > 94 855 turbo

          • KK P
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
              Hello Group,
              Has anyone installed ceramic brakes on these cars?
              I go through a lot of pads on the hills of San
              Francisco.
              Thank you,
              Keith
              '84 533i

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Brett Peavey
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
                how difficult is it to dropthe automatic tranny and
                change the ATF pump?

                Brett Peavey
                Microwave Component Sources
                Ph. 904.721.3711
                Fax. 904-721-3714
                Cell. 904.210.6573
                PV9@...
                www.microwavecomponentsources.com

              • mageidt
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2006
                  Not to difficult with the right equipment / tools however be carefull
                  pulling the pump out it get's stuck sometimes on the O-ring make sure
                  the new seal is carefully inserted back when you return the assembly.

                  Mike Geidt