rebuilt engine break-in

  • guydicesare2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
      I recently had a 3.5 litre engine rebuilt on my 88 535is. It was
      supposed to be replaced with a 30K used engine but the mechanic
      decided to rebuild my 250K engine instead.... without telling me.
      It's truly unbeleivable.
      Anyway, I will be reunited with the car next week. Can anyone tell me
      the correct break-in procedure (I have to assume for the moment that a
      rebuild was actually done, although I have my doubts). Any help would
      be appreciated. Thanks.
    • pld1952
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
        --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"
        <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:

        > I recently had a 3.5 litre engine rebuilt on my 88 535is. It was
        > supposed to be replaced with a 30K used engine but the mechanic
        > decided to rebuild my 250K engine instead.... without telling me.
        > It's truly unbeleivable.
        > Anyway, I will be reunited with the car next week. Can anyone tell
        me
        > the correct break-in procedure (I have to assume for the moment that
        > rebuild was actually done, although I have my doubts). Any help would
        > be appreciated. Thanks.

        Tell them you want a compression and cylinder leakage report on this
        rebuild. Also make sure the invoice has a detail list of parts (not a
        lump some) If it was a rebuild there should be plenty of parts. As far
        as the break in - they should be telling you how they want it broke
        in. Also I would take it somewhere else that can be trusted and let
        them tell you if it looks like its a rebuild, and have them do a
        compression and leakage test.

        Good luck
      • Guy DiCesare
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
          Thanks. unfortunately, this guy isn't returning phone
          calls or emails for over 2 weeks. A detailed receipt
          was supposed to be left in the car but, of course, was
          not. Think I'm on my own with the break-in. I'm
          currently on an island in Alaska and he's in
          California.
          --- pld1952 <pld1952@...> wrote:

          > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"
          > <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently had a 3.5 litre engine rebuilt on my 88
          > 535is. It was
          > > supposed to be replaced with a 30K used engine but
          > the mechanic
          > > decided to rebuild my 250K engine instead....
          > without telling me.
          > > It's truly unbeleivable.
          > > Anyway, I will be reunited with the car next
          > week. Can anyone tell
          > me
          > > the correct break-in procedure (I have to assume
          > for the moment that
          > > rebuild was actually done, although I have my
          > doubts). Any help would
          > > be appreciated. Thanks.
          > >

          > Tell them you want a compression and cylinder
          > leakage report on this
          > rebuild. Also make sure the invoice has a detail
          > list of parts (not a
          > lump some) If it was a rebuild there should be
          > plenty of parts. As far
          > as the break in - they should be telling you how
          > they want it broke
          > in. Also I would take it somewhere else that can be
          > trusted and let
          > them tell you if it looks like its a rebuild, and
          > have them do a
          > compression and leakage test.
          >
          > Good luck

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          Access over 1 million songs.
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
        • pld1952
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
            --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@...>

            ____________
            > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            > Access over 1 million songs.
            > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

            I need some more info - what was the problem with the original
            engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or replacement? How far
            have you driven it since you picked it up? How is it compared to
            before the work was done?
          • guydicesare2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2006
              The engine needed new seals...front and rear main were leaving small
              drips in the driveway and others were seeping. There was also a very
              minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a little low about 95
              lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine, and when I compared
              the transplant cost to just having the seals done, i decided to go for
              the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the parts of this car over 6
              years and it seemed to make sense to continue the restoration with a
              fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter million mile engine..
              the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too good to pass up. I
              don't know how much it has been driven but I suspect less than a
              hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend picked the car up
              just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me the engine swap
              would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15 weeks...). He did say it
              was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't order). Hope this
              helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.

              When--- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@...> wrote:

              > --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks. unfortunately, this guy isn't returning phone
              > > calls or emails for over 2 weeks. A detailed receipt
              > > was supposed to be left in the car but, of course, was
              > > not. Think I'm on my own with the break-in. I'm
              > > currently on an island in Alaska and he's in
              > > California.
              > > --- pld1952 <pld1952@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"

              > > > 535is. It was
              > > > the mechanic
              > > > without telling me.
              > > > week. Can anyone tell
              > > > me
              > > > for the moment that
              > > > doubts). Any help would
              > > > >

              > > > Tell them you want a compression and cylinder
              > > > leakage report on this
              > > > rebuild. Also make sure the invoice has a detail
              > > > list of parts (not a
              > > > lump some) If it was a rebuild there should be
              > > > plenty of parts. As far
              > > > as the break in - they should be telling you how
              > > > they want it broke
              > > > in. Also I would take it somewhere else that can be
              > > > trusted and let
              > > > them tell you if it looks like its a rebuild, and
              > > > have them do a
              > > > compression and leakage test.
              > > >
              > > > Good luck

              > ____________
              > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
              > > Access over 1 million songs.
              > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
              > >

              > I need some more info - what was the problem with the original
              > engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or replacement? How far
              > have you driven it since you picked it up? How is it compared to
              > before the work was done?

            • bimmernutjob
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
                monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
                can start from the beginning and explain exactly where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
                was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner ? Curious about your results,
                waiting ...

              • Guy DiCesare
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 12, 2006
                  Yes, I'm the guy on the island. OK..here's how it
                  went...I hired this mechanic to installl a 30K engine
                  in early August. He told me the engine would take 3
                  days to ship and another 3 days for install. Every
                  week for 15 weeks I phoned and was told it was going
                  to be done by the end of the week. On a friday
                  afternoon in November, I was told the 30 K engine was
                  being installed as we spoke. On the following Tuesday
                  morning I got a call saying my car was ready and that
                  the mechanic had decided to rebuild my old engine
                  instead. So either he lied on thursday or he'd been
                  lying all along. I actually hired a private
                  investigator to see if the car was even at the shop
                  because I was tired of the runaround. On thursday
                  after that, the car wasn't where it was supposed to be
                  dropped off. I was then told the car wouldn't start
                  and that if I wanted it fixed promptly I would have to
                  pay the hourly rate. I flipped and told this guy to
                  fix the car by the end of the week or I was going to
                  the Bureau of Automotive repair in California. I
                  handled the guy with kid gloves up until then because
                  his behavior was not exactly rational and I was
                  getting the feeling I might not see my car again. 2
                  days later I was told it was working and I had a
                  friend drive it a mile to a storage unit. A detailed
                  receipt was supposed to be left in the car. it wasn't.
                  repaeated attempts to secure the receipt and the break
                  in instructions haven't been responded to. The shop is
                  in South Lake tahoe California and they are licensed.
                  Well, that's that. If you have any advice , it sure
                  would be appreciated. Phil Davis suggested using Bon
                  Ami cleanservia a vacuum line..has anyone tried this?
                  Eviddently Cosworth recommends this method but the
                  idea of putting abrasive into the vacuum kind of makes
                  me nervous. thanks to all .guy
                  --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:

                  > This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you
                  > the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
                  > monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot
                  > of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
                  > can start from the beginning and explain exactly
                  > where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
                  > was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner
                  > ? Curious about your results,
                  > waiting ...
                  >

                  > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"
                  > <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The engine needed new seals...front and rear main
                  > were leaving small
                  > > drips in the driveway and others were seeping.
                  > There was also a very
                  > > minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a
                  > little low about 95
                  > > lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine,
                  > and when I compared
                  > > the transplant cost to just having the seals done,
                  > i decided to go for
                  > > the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the
                  > parts of this car over 6
                  > > years and it seemed to make sense to continue the
                  > restoration with a
                  > > fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter
                  > million mile engine..
                  > > the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too
                  > good to pass up. I
                  > > don't know how much it has been driven but I
                  > suspect less than a
                  > > hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend
                  > picked the car up
                  > > just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me
                  > the engine swap
                  > > would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15
                  > weeks...). He did say it
                  > > was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't
                  > order). Hope this
                  > > helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.
                  > >
                  > > When--- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952"
                  > <pld1952@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare
                  > <guydicesare2000@>

                  > returning phone
                  > receipt
                  > course, was
                  > I'm

                  > "guydicesare2000"

                  > on my 88
                  > engine but
                  > instead....
                  > next
                  > assume
                  > my

                  > cylinder
                  > detail
                  > be
                  > how
                  > can be
                  > rebuild, and

                  > > > ____________
                  > > > >

                  > > > I need some more info - what was the problem
                  > with the original
                  > > > engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or
                  > replacement? How far
                  > > > have you driven it since you picked it up? How
                  > is it compared to
                  > > > before the work was done?

                  Have a burning question?
                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                    Hi there, Guy. Firstly, please don't go putting Bon Ami into the engine
                    if you want it to last. Usually these 'fixes' are used to bed in a motor
                    quickly, but not necessarily done if you want the motor to last.
                    If the motor was indeed rebuilt with new pistons and rings and a
                    quality re-bore, the running-in procedure should be no different to any
                    other new motor.
                    Drive it around for 1000odd km doing normal speeds, don't let the
                    motor labour in gear or up hills, occasionally give it a rev out through
                    the lower (2nd - 4th) gears but don't over rev it. Change the oil after
                    1000 and continue with the same but increase the rev range a bit. Don't
                    use synthetic oil while running-in (I have seen some new motors still
                    not bed-in, after 50,000km because of synthetic oil right from the
                    start) I would change the oil and filter twice, or even 3 times for the
                    first 5000km, using a relatively cheap mineral oil. Then, when you are
                    happy that it is revving well and smooth, change to a good synthetic
                    oil, change the filter, and enjoy your car.
                    I am in Australia and not really able to help as far as the legal
                    stuff goes but if it was me, I wouldn't touch the car until I had sorted
                    out whether:
                    a) The motor was in fact rebuilt; _and_
                    b) Whether the price you paid reflects the work done ie. Did you only
                    pay 'second-hand engine' price or 'fully rebuilt engine' price?
                    You might be behind the 8-ball as you have already accepted the car as
                    it is and you have no proof what you exactly paid them for. Sorry to say
                    it sounds like they have done a dodgy with it.
                    Good Luck!!

                    Guy DiCesare wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > years and it seemed to make sense to continue the
                    > > restoration with a
                    > > > fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter
                    > > million mile engine..
                    > > > the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too
                    > > good to pass up. I
                    > > > don't know how much it has been driven but I
                    > > suspect less than a
                    > > > hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend
                    > > picked the car up
                    > > > just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me
                    > > the engine swap
                    > > > would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15
                    > > weeks...). He did say it
                    > > > was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't
                    > > order). Hope this
                    > > > helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.
                    > > >
                    > > > When--- In bmwe28@...
                    > <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>, "pld1952"

                    > <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>, Guy DiCesare

                  • bimmernutjob
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                      -Guy

                      Let's start from the beginning:

                      1. You are on an alaskan Island, but you shipped your car to the mainland ?
                      1a. mechanic is at lake tahoe..?
                      2. paid how much ? did you get an estimate ?
                      3. have you checked with better bussiness buracray to see if mechanic has complaints ?
                      4. what is condition of said vehicle now ? do you owe money to shop ?

                      My advice: if you still owe money, wait until repair/agreements are resolved
                      if not you can sue in small claims court-(bring doccumentation) in general
                      judges do not look favorably to dirtball mechanics

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Hi. I travel for a living. I worked in Tahoe before
                        Alaska so i left the car in Tahoe for the engine
                        swap.Mecahic is at Tahoe.Paid 1800 bucks for a 30K
                        engine,not a rebuild. Estimate was verbal but I am not
                        super concerned as I have witnesses and taped phone
                        calls.
                        Haven't checked BBB because this is a brand new shop.
                        Mechanics license is clean for the same reason.
                        Condition is it drove a mile to storage. otherwise, no
                        info at this time.
                        I told the bureau of auto repair that I didn't agree
                        with what was done but that I was going to pay because
                        I really didn't trust this guy with my car. I need a
                        car gassed up and ready to go anytime. My work is kind
                        of like the military in that regard. Mainly, I didn't
                        want the guy copping an attitude, removing my engine
                        and throwing in some piece of crap engine and keeping
                        my car for another 3 and a half months. This has been
                        extremely stressful, as my livelihood depends on that
                        car. I got a receipt emailed last night. I can send
                        you a copy but don't want to post the shop's name on
                        the net (I used to date an attorney-forgive my
                        paranoia :). I talked with Phil today and there are
                        things that probably should have been done that
                        weren't. i can't catch abreak with this car. I wanted
                        a fresh engine so the car didn't spend the NEXT six
                        years in the shop. You may remember I was ready to
                        sell the car for just these reasons last June. thanks
                        for your help, and shoot a copy of your email address
                        if you want to view the receipt. I promise I'm not the
                        "MAD SPAMMER". Guy

                        === message truncated ===