Removing e28 alloy wheels?

  • Alan Myler - at home
    Message 1 of 8 , 2 Jan 01:40
      I can't seem to remove the BBS alloy wheels from my '87 e28. I've
      removed the 5 bolts holding on the wheels but there is no give whatsoever,
      they won't budge. I've tried tapping lightly on the rim with a mallet to
      loosen
      them up, as I know alloys can corrode onto the wheel hub. I've also given
      the tyres few kicks and wollops with a sledge hammer, but no movement.

      Am I missing something?

      Are the wheels held on with some other mechanism? I've had the car for
      2 years and never had to remove a wheel before thankfully.

      Thanks in advance for any advice,

      Alan Myler
    • john holst
      Message 2 of 8 , 2 Jan 03:11
        Hi Alan, sounds like your in a spot of bother as the poms say...
        one way to get them off with out damaging the rims is to get a length
        of hardwood timber (4x3) Lay one end of it on the rim then strike that with
        a suitable weight hammer, rotate the wheel as you go so to even out the strikes.( use release spray if you can get to hubs) good luck John from Oz.

        Alan Myler - at home <amyler@...> wrote:
        I can't seem to remove the BBS alloy wheels from my '87 e28. I've
        removed the 5 bolts holding on the wheels but there is no give whatsoever,
        they won't budge. I've tried tapping lightly on the rim with a mallet to
        loosen
        them up, as I know alloys can corrode onto the wheel hub. I've also given
        the tyres few kicks and wollops with a sledge hammer, but no movement.

        Am I missing something?

        Are the wheels held on with some other mechanism? I've had the car for
        2 years and never had to remove a wheel before thankfully.

        Thanks in advance for any advice,

        Alan Myler

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 8 , 2 Jan 08:41
          try to get some penetrating fluid to hub surface through the center, build up a puddle
          then rotate wheel a bit..etc.

          My provem method was to give the tire/wheel assembly a good kick with heavy boots.

          GOOD LUCK !!

          --- In bmwe28@..., Alan Myler - at home <amyler@...> wrote:

          > I can't seem to remove the BBS alloy wheels from my '87 e28. I've
          > removed the 5 bolts holding on the wheels but there is no give whatsoever,
          > they won't budge. I've tried tapping lightly on the rim with a mallet to
          > loosen
          > them up, as I know alloys can corrode onto the wheel hub. I've also given
          > the tyres few kicks and wollops with a sledge hammer, but no movement.
          >
          > Am I missing something?
          >
          > Are the wheels held on with some other mechanism? I've had the car for
          > 2 years and never had to remove a wheel before thankfully.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any advice,
          >
          > Alan Myler

        • bimmernutjob
          Message 4 of 8 , 2 Jan 08:46
            Alan,

            forgot to mention, after removing stuck wheel : clean surface/s and apply anti-cease to
            hub

            --- In bmwe28@..., Alan Myler - at home <amyler@...> wrote:

            > I can't seem to remove the BBS alloy wheels from my '87 e28. I've
            > removed the 5 bolts holding on the wheels but there is no give whatsoever,
            > they won't budge. I've tried tapping lightly on the rim with a mallet to
            > loosen
            > them up, as I know alloys can corrode onto the wheel hub. I've also given
            > the tyres few kicks and wollops with a sledge hammer, but no movement.
            >
            > Am I missing something?
            >
            > Are the wheels held on with some other mechanism? I've had the car for
            > 2 years and never had to remove a wheel before thankfully.
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any advice,
            >
            > Alan Myler

          • John Forbey
            Message 5 of 8 , 2 Jan 16:03
              Naw, they have just been on the hub awhile. Try
              turning the wheel now and striking the other side of
              them. Happened to me-I had a 5lb. hammer and struck
              the inside of the wheel.

              Good Luck,
              John F. Forbey
              jforbey@...
              --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:

              > Alan,
              >
              > forgot to mention, after removing stuck wheel :
              > clean surface/s and apply anti-cease to
              > hub
              >

              > --- In bmwe28@..., Alan Myler - at
              > home <amyler@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I can't seem to remove the BBS alloy wheels from
              > my '87 e28. I've
              > > removed the 5 bolts holding on the wheels but
              > there is no give whatsoever,
              > > they won't budge. I've tried tapping lightly on
              > the rim with a mallet to
              > > loosen
              > > them up, as I know alloys can corrode onto the
              > wheel hub. I've also given
              > > the tyres few kicks and wollops with a sledge
              > hammer, but no movement.
              > >
              > > Am I missing something?
              > >
              > > Are the wheels held on with some other mechanism?
              > I've had the car for
              > > 2 years and never had to remove a wheel before
              > thankfully.
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance for any advice,
              > >
              > > Alan Myler

            • e28vidar
              Message 6 of 8 , 2 Jan 17:08
                Try to loosen the studs(while the wheels supports the vehicle) and
                drive a few metres and engage either the handbrake(if it's a rear wheel
                which is stuck) or the brake pedal if it's one of the front wheels. Try
                to turn the steering wheel and brake simultaneous, or steer to one side
                and engage the handbrake.

                Just don't loosen the studs too much, maybe 1/2 centimeter or less. And
                don't drive far either. This is the last resort, and should only be
                tested if anything else fails.

                After you have successfully removed the wheel(s), apply copperpaste on
                ALL the surfaces where the rims get in contact with the hub. Be sure to
                avoid getting any copperpaste on the brake discs.

                Good Luck!

                -Vidar-
              • Alan Myler - at home
                Message 7 of 8 , 4 Jan 08:14
                  Thanks all for the useful advice, I now have the rear wheels off the car.

                  Now all I have to do is change the brake pads and I'll be back on the road.

                  But I'll leave that until the weekend when I get a chance to work in
                  daylight.

                  Alan
                • doug dykaar
                  Message 8 of 8 , 5 Jan 05:51
                    Alan,

                    The secret to avoiding stuck wheels in the future is to coat the hub
                    (lightly) with anti-sieze (NOT grease).

                    Regards,

                    doug