1984 BMW 533 For Sale:

  • Geisler Mark
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
      Located in Dallas. Must sell asking 2200.00.

    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
        Does this one have a chippable ecu?
        jforbey@...
        'of Balch Springs repute'
        --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...> wrote:

        > Located in Dallas. Must sell asking 2200.00.

        > removed]

      • Geisler Mark
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
          If so, it probably needs one. I really don't know but
          it's been driving a little rough.It does, however,
          have a new muffler, new alternator, and valves
          adjusted. Also some spares. Let me know if you would
          like to see it.
          Thanks,

          Mark
          --- John Forbey <jforbey@...> wrote:

          > Does this one have a chippable ecu?
          > jforbey@...
          > 'of Balch Springs repute'
          > --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Located in Dallas. Must sell asking 2200.00.

          > > removed]

        • John Forbey
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 17, 2007
            could be plugs, wires or dist. cap burnt a little.
            where are you?
            jforbey@...
            --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...> wrote:

            > If so, it probably needs one. I really don't know
            > but
            > it's been driving a little rough.It does, however,
            > have a new muffler, new alternator, and valves
            > adjusted. Also some spares. Let me know if you would
            > like to see it.
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Mark
            > --- John Forbey <jforbey@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Does this one have a chippable ecu?
            > > jforbey@...
            > > 'of Balch Springs repute'
            > > --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Located in Dallas. Must sell asking 2200.00.

            > > > Be a PS3 game guru.
            > > > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news
            > and
            > > > previews at Yahoo! Games.

            > > > removed]

            > > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the
            > forecast
            > > with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.

            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
          • Geisler Mark
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
              Dallas

              --- John Forbey <jforbey@...> wrote:

              > could be plugs, wires or dist. cap burnt a little.
              > where are you?
              > jforbey@...
              > --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...> wrote:
              >
              > > If so, it probably needs one. I really don't know
              > > but
              > > it's been driving a little rough.It does, however,
              > > have a new muffler, new alternator, and valves
              > > adjusted. Also some spares. Let me know if you
              > would
              > > like to see it.
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Mark
              > > --- John Forbey <jforbey@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Does this one have a chippable ecu?
              > > > jforbey@...
              > > > 'of Balch Springs repute'
              > > > --- Geisler Mark <wideafternoon@...>

              > > and

              > > > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the
              > > forecast
              > > > with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.

              > > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the
              > forecast
              > > with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.

              > (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures
              > list.
              > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

            • Didj Effects
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                I just finished a search for an 80's 5-series. Got a beater 528e that hasn't passed smog yet, but is getting 30mpg and idles smooth w/ 140k. That was enough to remind me how fun these cars are so I went looking for something that'd actually been taken care of. Almost bought a 535is in some-parts-really-good/some-parts-iffy condition; then, just as I was thinking I might prefer the mileage and the gearing on the e, I found a single-owner 88 528e that's a freakin' time machine! 145k, super clean tan leather nterior, super straight body w/ original black paint with gel-coat intact! I can't believe my luck! A few tiny dents that'll suck out for $200, a 4-inch split in the drivers seat, a cracked windshield I can swap over to the beater, a power polishing and it'll be cherry. A nice father bought it from the original owner as incentive for his daughter, then gave it new belts, hoses, brakes, clutch, tires, & more. But his 16-yo didn't make the grades, so after sitting
                covered in his driveway for 6 mos he had to make good on his word and sold the car to me for his original purchase price, $3000. It drives like a new car! I feel bad for his daughter, but not that bad!

                Sorry for the long winded post, but I had to share, I'll post pictures soon. Now the question - the only thing I would change is the suspension, so has anyone upgraded the stock suspension on their 528? Bilsteins? Sway bars? Tower braces? What brand, what cost, and what results? I'd really appreciate some reports and suggestions.

                thanks,
                -=cam

              • Brett Peavey
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                  can the atf pump on my 87 535i be replaced? can it be
                  cleaned and repaired? or do i need to replace the
                  whole transmission?

                  Brett Peavey
                  Microwave Component Sources
                  Ph. 904.721.3711
                  Fax. 904-721-3714
                  Cell. 904.210.6573
                  PV9@...
                  www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                  Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                  Access over 1 million songs.
                  http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                • Steve Haygood
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                    what are the symptoms ? There is a rebuild kit available for the trans that
                    includes all that you would need
                    Steve

                    Steve Haygood
                    BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                    03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                    03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
                    www.stevehaygood.com

                    _____

                    PV9@... <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com>
                    www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                    Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                    Access over 1 million songs.
                    http://music. <http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited> yahoo.com/unlimited

                  • John Forbey
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                      Do you mean the torque converter? Yes that can be
                      replaced easily; but it involves separating the engine
                      and transmission. Putting it up on blocks in the air
                      somehow such that the trans can be undone at the
                      output shaft or guibo and at the front-detach lower
                      access cover for torque converter bolts usually three
                      that go around the flywheel then outside around
                      bell-housing. Do not forget that there are trans
                      cooler lines attaching w/ trans oil in them and the
                      connection for shift mechanism somewhere on top-good
                      luck and if Mr. Haygood had any sort of compassion he
                      would lend direction rather than short buy this/buy
                      that exerpts...I know of no other "pump" in an auto
                      trans beside the torque converter-and Mr. Haygood
                      knows too. Must be a salesperson.

                      Good Luck, But you can do it fairly easily!
                      John F. Forbey

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                        sales and BMW repair for about 22 years now....
                        cheers

                        --- Brett Peavey <pv9@... <mailto:pv9%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

                        > can the atf pump on my 87 535i be replaced? can it
                        > be
                        > cleaned and repaired? or do i need to replace the
                        > whole transmission?
                        >
                        > Brett Peavey
                        > Microwave Component Sources
                        > Ph. 904.721.3711
                        > Fax. 904-721-3714
                        > Cell. 904.210.6573
                        > PV9@... <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com>
                        > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                        > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                        > Access over 1 million songs.
                        > http://music. <http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited> yahoo.com/unlimited

                        Be a PS3 game guru.
                        http://videogames. <http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121>
                        yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121

                      • pld1952
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                          Well I have to say sometimes the comments here leave a little to be
                          desired. Yes the auto trans has an oil pump and its behind the
                          torque converter the part number is 24311218512 actually the torque
                          converter drives the oil pump. The other questions Mr Haygood asked
                          are what we need to know - whats the problem - how many miles etc.
                          Also laying on your back hauling the autotrans out is not done
                          easily as you will find out!

                          Phil

                          _______________
                          > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                          > > Access over 1 million songs.
                          > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

                          _______________
                          > Be a PS3 game guru.
                          Yahoo! Games.

                        • Brett Peavey
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                            symptoms----when cold; the tranny will engage the 1st
                            and reverse barely...and every few seconds it will
                            jolt into gear and then slip back out allowing for 2
                            maybe 3 feet of movement.
                            when warm the tranny wont engage but every minute or
                            so, giving me the same result of 2-3 feet of movement.
                            --- Steve Haygood <sfhaygood@...> wrote:

                            > what are the symptoms ? There is a rebuild kit
                            > available for the trans that
                            > includes all that you would need
                            > Steve
                            >
                            > Steve Haygood
                            > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                            > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                            > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
                            > www.stevehaygood.com
                            >

                            > _____

                            Don't pick lemons.
                            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                            http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                          • Steve Haygood
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                              seal replacement "may" fix the problem, sounds like you are loosing line
                              pressure. The seals around the pump and stator plate keep the pressure going
                              where it needs to go. The clutch discs are very cheap and "if" I was going
                              to try to repair this trans, I would replace the A clutch pack discs as well

                              --- Steve Haygood <sfhaygood@alltel. <mailto:sfhaygood%40alltel.net> net>
                              wrote:

                              > what are the symptoms ? There is a rebuild kit
                              > available for the trans that
                              > includes all that you would need
                              > Steve
                              >
                              > Steve Haygood
                              > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                              > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                              > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor
                              > www.stevehaygood.com
                              >

                              > _____
                              >
                              > From: bmwe28@yahoogroups. <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk> co.uk
                              Behalf
                              > Of Brett Peavey
                              > Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:43 PM
                              > To: bmwe28@yahoogroups. <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk> co.uk
                              > Subject: [bmw e28] ATF pump
                              >

                              > can the atf pump on my 87 535i be replaced? can it
                              > be
                              > cleaned and repaired? or do i need to replace the
                              > whole transmission?
                              >
                              > Brett Peavey
                              > Microwave Component Sources
                              > Ph. 904.721.3711
                              > Fax. 904-721-3714
                              > Cell. 904.210.6573
                              > PV9@... <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com> <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com>
                              > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                              > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                              > Access over 1 million songs.
                              > http://music. <http://music. <http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited>
                              yahoo.com/unlimited>
                              > yahoo.com/unlimited

                              > removed]

                              Brett Peavey
                              Microwave Component Sources
                              Ph. 904.721.3711
                              Fax. 904-721-3714
                              Cell. 904.210.6573
                              PV9@... <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com>
                              www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                              Don't pick lemons.
                              See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                              http://autos. <http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html> yahoo.com/new_cars.html

                            • pld1952
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                Not questioning your abilities but are you sure the fluid level is
                                correct? Sure sounds like low fluid.

                                Phil

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                  I recently bought the car. and I drained nearly 6
                                  quarts of tranny fluid out. so there was too much in
                                  the tranny so i thought that the pump may be gunked
                                  down.

                                  Get your own web address.
                                • Brett Peavey
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                    can anyone tell me where i can find the rebuild kit
                                    for this transmission. if i got it would it fix tis
                                    problem? i put the rear end up on lifters and ran it.
                                    and there was no problems, the trans worked fine.
                                    (although i dont remember going fast enough for it to
                                    shift or anything) so if i can just float the car down
                                    the road i shouldnt have any problems

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                      Lets start over, With the engine running and warmed up in park the
                                      fluid level needs to be between the min and max marks.

                                    • Steve Haygood
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                        I have them at 120.00. No way to know for sure if this is all it will need,
                                        the friction plates are 4.70 each ,there are 5 of them as well

                                        http://tv.yahoo. <http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265> com/collections/265

                                      • John Forbey
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                          too late, non-mechanic; already didit, and he won't
                                          get any closer with it on the ground!
                                          jforbey@...

                                          --- pld1952 <pld1952@...> wrote:

                                          > Well I have to say sometimes the comments here leave
                                          > a little to be
                                          > desired. Yes the auto trans has an oil pump and its
                                          > behind the
                                          > torque converter the part number is 24311218512
                                          > actually the torque
                                          > converter drives the oil pump. The other questions
                                          > Mr Haygood asked
                                          > are what we need to know - whats the problem - how
                                          > many miles etc.
                                          > Also laying on your back hauling the autotrans out
                                          > is not done
                                          > easily as you will find out!
                                          >
                                          > Phil
                                          >

                                          > --- In bmwe28@..., John Forbey
                                          > <jforbey@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Do you mean the torque converter? Yes that can be
                                          > > replaced easily; but it involves separating the
                                          > engine
                                          > > and transmission. Putting it up on blocks in the
                                          > air
                                          > > somehow such that the trans can be undone at the
                                          > > output shaft or guibo and at the front-detach
                                          > lower
                                          > > access cover for torque converter bolts usually
                                          > three
                                          > > that go around the flywheel then outside around
                                          > > bell-housing. Do not forget that there are trans
                                          > > cooler lines attaching w/ trans oil in them and
                                          > the
                                          > > connection for shift mechanism somewhere on
                                          > top-good
                                          > > luck and if Mr. Haygood had any sort of compassion
                                          > he
                                          > > would lend direction rather than short buy
                                          > this/buy
                                          > > that exerpts...I know of no other "pump" in an
                                          > auto
                                          > > trans beside the torque converter-and Mr. Haygood
                                          > > knows too. Must be a salesperson.
                                          > >
                                          > > Good Luck, But you can do it fairly easily!
                                          > > John F. Forbey
                                          > > --- Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > > can the atf pump on my 87 535i be replaced? can
                                          > it
                                          > > > be
                                          > > > cleaned and repaired? or do i need to replace
                                          > the
                                          > > > whole transmission?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Brett Peavey
                                          > > > Microwave Component Sources
                                          > > > Ph. 904.721.3711
                                          > > > Fax. 904-721-3714
                                          > > > Cell. 904.210.6573
                                          > > > PV9@...
                                          > > > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                                          > _______________
                                          > > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                                          > > > Access over 1 million songs.
                                          > > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

                                          > _______________
                                          > > Be a PS3 game guru.
                                          > > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and
                                          > previews at
                                          > Yahoo! Games.

                                          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                        • pld1952
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                            Film at 11? closer to what?

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007
                                              correct...and they are.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007
                                                Turns out that running the engine in Park has the same effect as
                                                running it
                                                in Neutral. The front clutch pack has no mechanism for
                                                depressurizing when
                                                a drive gear is not selected, so revving the engine, or even running
                                                it,
                                                will still power the transmission's internal fluid pump, increasing
                                                the
                                                pressure within the clutch pack until failure.

                                                BMW put out a service bulletin on this, recommending that ZF
                                                transmission
                                                cars which needed to be idled for whatever reason be shut completely
                                                off
                                                for thirty seconds, then restarted in Park or Neutral without EVER
                                                going
                                                into a drive gear. So you're all right idleing as long as you don't
                                                ever put it into drive or reverse.

                                                I don't know that anyone ever told me which years of cars had the ZF
                                                transmission and which had the GM unit. I'm sure your service advisor
                                                would be happy to give you that information.

                                                Hope this was of help. One of my friends has a 750 that he regularly
                                                puts
                                                into neutral at stoplights. He was very surprised when I told him
                                                about
                                                this problem. He said that the previous owner had mentioned having
                                                the
                                                trnasmission replaced at 70,000 miles because it blew while revving
                                                in
                                                neutral. He didn't realize that type of failure was a congenital
                                                defect,
                                                not an isolated incident.

                                                Go here for how it all works
                                                http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/transfund1.pdf

                                                The next step is to check pressure with a autotrans pressure guages

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007
                                                  Just a quick note from the uk.
                                                  I've done a lot of research on this ... its only a problem with poorly maintained
                                                  transmissions where various bushes,etc get very slightly worn and
                                                  allow a little bit too much oil to seep past, leading to an unwanted pressure buildup
                                                  behind the front clutch pack.
                                                  (Later 4hp22 boxes had a small drain hole drilled in a certain place to overcome this problem).

                                                  The main thing to watch for ... after driving a while to ensure the gearbox has warmed up,
                                                  put it in neutral and with no brakes, just see if there is any tendancy to creep.
                                                  My 525e (uk) did it for a couple of years ... every time i went into neutral it had this slight
                                                  urge to move forward ... applying a few revs would actually stop the forward motion (obviously
                                                  reducing to drag between clutch plates by increasing the rpm difference between them).

                                                  Anyway, my box did fail, i fitted a replacement which, to this day has not shown any tendancy
                                                  to drag its front clutch pack whilst in neutral. (6 years of use to far!!)
                                                  In fact, with a hot gearbox ... i can stop and without switching the engine off i can jack up
                                                  one of the rear wheels, put it in neutral with the handbrake off and still see no apparant drive
                                                  through to the rear wheels.

                                                  This i assume is an ideal situation ... there is no drag at idle rpm = healthy gearbox which can take
                                                  the odd standing rev in neutral without self-destructing.

                                                  Regardless, if i get stuck in traffic i pull the handbrake on and leave it in drive!!

                                                  Steve
                                                  Uk

                                                  Bmw 525e uk spec 11.0:1 compression, fitted with 323i 731 head and valve gear, viper 2
                                                  performance chip to suit these high revving stroker engines and a 4.1:1 differential in
                                                  place of the stock 3.06:1 unit.

                                                  22 years old and faster to 60mph than the new 330d !!!

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007
                                                    phil,
                                                    i noticed on that link, page 6, that too much fluid
                                                    will introduce foam into the hydralic system. I think
                                                    that is my problem...is there a way to clean it.
                                                    would a tranny flush do the trick? and if so, would i
                                                    be able to do that here in my apartment complex
                                                    parking lot or do i should i tow it somewhere to have
                                                    them do it?
                                                    --- pld1952 <pld1952@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    > the
                                                    > trnasmission replaced at 70,000 miles because it
                                                    > blew while revving
                                                    > in
                                                    > neutral. He didn't realize that type of failure was
                                                    > a congenital
                                                    > defect,
                                                    > not an isolated incident.
                                                    >
                                                    > Go here for how it all works

                                                    http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/transfund1.pdf

                                                    > The next step is to check pressure with a autotrans
                                                    > pressure guages
                                                    >
                                                    > Phil

                                                    > --- In bmwe28@..., Brett Peavey
                                                    > <pv9@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > correct...and they are.
                                                    > > --- pld1952 <pld1952@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > Lets start over, With the engine running and
                                                    > warmed
                                                    > > > up in park the
                                                    > > > fluid level needs to be between the min and max

                                                    === message truncated ===

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
                                                      Take it to a reliable BMW shop (not a transmission shop) in your
                                                      area and let them check it out properly.