Instrument pack batteries?

  • Phil Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2007
      I recently let the battery go completely flat on my 86 525e; ever since I
      recharged the battery I've got most of the service indicator lights on, the
      tacho, temp gauge and economy meter don't work either. Checked the
      instrument fuse and its ok (have cleaned up the connections as well).
      Before I jump at something else, could it be the instrument pack batteries?
      Will they eventually recharge and everything else sort itself out? The
      service lights (not the first 2 greens, for some reason) stay on with the
      ignition off as well..

      Cheers,

      Phil

    • john holst

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 23, 2007
          Quoting bmwe28@...:

          > 1. Instrument pack batteries?
          > From: Phil Howard

          > 1. Instrument pack batteries?
          > Posted by: "Phil Howard" ss1turbo@... b23kab
          > Date: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:35 pm
          >
          > Before I jump at something else, could it be the instrument pack batteries?
          > Will they eventually recharge and everything else sort itself out?

          As far as I know, the instrument cluster batteries are NiCd technology. I.e.
          they will wear out.

          When I had my cluster out on time, I desoldered the old batteries, soldered in
          some lead wires, and used my own NiCd batteries in a battery box. This box is
          now an "outrigger" Velcroed to the back of the cluster. I can swap those
          batteries easily with disassembling the cluster.

          With longer wires, you could access the batteries in the foot well.

          Now my "countdown" service indicator LEDs work properly.

          cheers,
          Blake

          84 multi-colour 528e
          84 brown rusty 528e (donor car)
          88 diamond black M3 (hibernating)

          (sent via Computer Ease webmail while at Nexient)