Re: [bmw e28] On Board Computer Question!!

  • Agent Midnight
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hmmm
      Well there are two lights in the on board computer.
      You can rule out the Battery pack as they only use the cars power(disconect the car Bat. you loose all the memory in the OBC). I have had BOTH light bulbs go bad on a OBC in a older BMW I had. One is a back like for the butttons that is twist on bulb like in the Inst. cluster and the other is a more special bulb that is a slide that you pull out from the side of the OBC. I would get a flash and shine it on the LCD screen and see if you can see and words/numbers. Push the buttons to make things change if you see any thing then its the LCD back light bulb pack. If not then you have another problem.
      In any case, it is always good to check all your fuses, that could be it but if I remember right that fuse also controls a bunch of other things you would notice.

      Good luck,
      -Dana

        The On Board Computer's light is on but I see no time, date, etc. I
        have a 1985 BMW 528e. Is the battery pack dead? Fuse? Any help would be
        great. Thanks!!

        Virus Database (VPS): 000706-0, 01/23/2007
        Tested on: 1/23/2007 20:50:34

        Thanks,
        Nick A. Davis
        Director
        Detour Memphis - Online Magazine

        Check Out the BLOG - The World of Nick A. Davis

        A Starr On The Moon Production Video Site

      • Brett Peavey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2007
          why does my obc display metric units?
          --- "Nick A. Davis - Detour Memphis"
          <nadavis02@...> wrote:

          > Thanks - I will check that
          >
          > Agent Midnight <agentmidnight@...> wrote:
          > Hmmm
          > Well there are two lights in the on board computer.
          > You can rule out the Battery pack as they only use
          > the cars power(disconect the car Bat. you loose all
          > the memory in the OBC). I have had BOTH light bulbs
          > go bad on a OBC in a older BMW I had. One is a back
          > like for the butttons that is twist on bulb like in
          > the Inst. cluster and the other is a more special
          > bulb that is a slide that you pull out from the side
          > of the OBC. I would get a flash and shine it on the
          > LCD screen and see if you can see and words/numbers.
          > Push the buttons to make things change if you see
          > any thing then its the LCD back light bulb pack. If
          > not then you have another problem.
          > In any case, it is always good to check all your
          > fuses, that could be it but if I remember right that
          > fuse also controls a bunch of other things you would
          > notice.
          >
          > Good luck,
          > -Dana

          Brett Peavey
          Microwave Component Sources
          Ph. 904.721.3711
          Fax. 904-721-3714
          Cell. 904.210.6573
          PV9@...
          www.microwavecomponentsources.com

        • Agent Midnight
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 26, 2007
            Because your OBC lost power. Because it lost power it reset it self to it's default programing/format
            from the country it came from ( Germany ). Most of the world uses metric including Germany so you have
            to change the computer to display in non-metric if you want. It is a little more tricky on the e28s then on the new
            BMWs but not much. There in an indented reset button on the lower right hand side that you need to push in with a pen
            or something similar. I can find more extact directions if you need them but this is a normal thing and nothing to worry about.
            -Dana

            > Well there are two lights in the on board computer.
            > You can rule out the Battery pack as they only use
            > the cars power(disconect the car Bat. you loose all
            > the memory in the OBC). I have had BOTH light bulbs
            > go bad on a OBC in a older BMW I had. One is a back
            > like for the butttons that is twist on bulb like in
            > the Inst. cluster and the other is a more special
            > bulb that is a slide that you pull out from the side
            > of the OBC. I would get a flash and shine it on the
            > LCD screen and see if you can see and words/numbers.
            > Push the buttons to make things change if you see
            > any thing then its the LCD back light bulb pack. If
            > not then you have another problem.
            > In any case, it is always good to check all your
            > fuses, that could be it but if I remember right that
            > fuse also controls a bunch of other things you would
            > notice.
            >
            > Good luck,
            > -Dana

            Virus Database (VPS): 000706-3, 01/26/2007
            Tested on: 1/26/2007 12:06:48