Cold start problems below 15F/-10C

  • deindieb
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
      Hello All,

      I've been having some difficulty starting my 86 535i (usa) on
      particularly cold mornings. Cranks strong and steady, but doesn't
      catch. After the first time i went and replaced the plugs as they
      were a bit worn. My mechanic did a compression test and one of the
      cylinders (4 i think) was a bit low-around 50 lbs. Ran fine since.

      Above about 20F starts instantly and without hesitation.

      This morning it was about 10F/-12C and she took about 2 minutes of
      cranking to start. Then she ran rough and smoky for about 30 seconds
      and then was good as new. I know it isn't the battery as battery
      tests good and i jumped it once while trying to start it. Searching
      the archives in this group doesn't show much, other web searches
      suggest replacing the cold start valve.

      Anyone have an opinion/suggestion?

      Thanks,
      Greg
      New York
    • pld1952
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        Some more info here would help, how many miles, were the valves
        adjusted when the compression was checked?, was 4 50lbs low or was it
        50 lbs, what was the reading on the other 5?, etc.

        Phil

        --- In bmwe28@..., "deindieb" <deindieb@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I've been having some difficulty starting my 86 535i (usa) on
        > particularly cold mornings. Cranks strong and steady, but doesn't
        > catch. After the first time i went and replaced the plugs as they
        > were a bit worn. My mechanic did a compression test and one of the
        > cylinders (4 i think) was a bit low-around 50 lbs. Ran fine since.
        >
        > Above about 20F starts instantly and without hesitation.
        >
        > This morning it was about 10F/-12C and she took about 2 minutes of
        > cranking to start. Then she ran rough and smoky for about 30
        seconds
        > and then was good as new. I know it isn't the battery as battery
        > tests good and i jumped it once while trying to start it. Searching
        > the archives in this group doesn't show much, other web searches
        > suggest replacing the cold start valve.
        >
        > Anyone have an opinion/suggestion?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Greg
        > New York

      • jforbey
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          Had the same problem on my 533i and I went back to the original plug
          number-started perfect. I was using Bosch Platinum single electrode
          plugs. I think I read something a long time ago about them not burning
          hot enough. They were what O'Reillys Auto Parts prescribed; but I
          think each original plug is resistance-tuned for each particular engine.
          Anyone have any answers?

          jforbey@... <mailto:jforbey@...>
          --- In bmwe28@..., "deindieb" <deindieb@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I've been having some difficulty starting my 86 535i (usa) on
          > particularly cold mornings. Cranks strong and steady, but doesn't
          > catch. After the first time i went and replaced the plugs as they
          > were a bit worn. My mechanic did a compression test and one of the
          > cylinders (4 i think) was a bit low-around 50 lbs. Ran fine since.
          >
          > Above about 20F starts instantly and without hesitation.
          >
          > This morning it was about 10F/-12C and she took about 2 minutes of
          > cranking to start. Then she ran rough and smoky for about 30 seconds
          > and then was good as new. I know it isn't the battery as battery
          > tests good and i jumped it once while trying to start it. Searching
          > the archives in this group doesn't show much, other web searches
          > suggest replacing the cold start valve.
          >
          > Anyone have an opinion/suggestion?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Greg
          > New York

        • deindieb
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
            Currently have 156,000 miles. Valves were not adjusted. Reading on
            cylinder 4 was 50 lbs. Don't have the readings in front of me, but
            recall that the other cylinders were all in the 90-105 range except
            for one which was 75 lbs. Mechanic wasn't concerned about any of the
            other cylinder readings, fwiw. He suggested trying an oil treatment
            product named "Restore" which is supposed to improve the low
            compression problem. I put the Restore in at the last oil change but
            haven't had the compression checked since.

            Other than this problem engine runs great. Not sure what other info i
            could give you...

            The new plugs i put in were Bosch Platinum with rating that the auto
            parts store suggested.

            --- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@...> wrote:

            > Some more info here would help, how many miles, were the valves
            > adjusted when the compression was checked?, was 4 50lbs low or was it
            > 50 lbs, what was the reading on the other 5?, etc.
            >
            > Phil

          • pld1952
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2007
              Theres your problem - get standard Bosch plugs for the car - they
              don't like the platinums, also get the valves adjusted!! and forget
              the rebuild in a bottle stuff.
              PHIL

              --- In bmwe28@..., "deindieb" <deindieb@...> wrote:

              > Currently have 156,000 miles. Valves were not adjusted. Reading on
              > cylinder 4 was 50 lbs. Don't have the readings in front of me, but
              > recall that the other cylinders were all in the 90-105 range except
              > for one which was 75 lbs. Mechanic wasn't concerned about any of
              the
              > other cylinder readings, fwiw. He suggested trying an oil treatment
              > product named "Restore" which is supposed to improve the low
              > compression problem. I put the Restore in at the last oil change
              but
              > haven't had the compression checked since.
              >
              > Other than this problem engine runs great. Not sure what other
              info i
              > could give you...
              >
              > The new plugs i put in were Bosch Platinum with rating that the auto
              > parts store suggested.
              >

              > --- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Some more info here would help, how many miles, were the valves
              > > adjusted when the compression was checked?, was 4 50lbs low or
              was it
              > > 50 lbs, what was the reading on the other 5?, etc.
              > >
              > > Phil

            • bnancarrow
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                --- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@...> wrote:
                > Theres your problem - get standard Bosch plugs for the car - they
                > don't like the platinums

                I had heard from a friend / BMW mechanic that I should only use copper
                plugs in my motor. He explained that copper spark plugs run hotter
                and are better for older motors with old piston rings...

                561 000 kilometres and still going!

                cheers,
                Blake
              • deindieb
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Switching to copper plugs is easy enough to try, thanks for the
                  suggestion guys.