dead

  • bnancarrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
      Started to leave a friend's house at 11:30pm. I had backed into the
      driveway. Car started fine despite cold. Touched the wiper lever to
      clear the windshield. Started ahead. At the PRECISE moment I was
      going over the curbing between the driveway and road, I quickly
      flicked on the lights. Car completely died! No electrics. No
      lights. No dash indicators. Nothing. Tachometer needle "flutters"
      when I turn the key in the ignition.

      1984 528e.

      Checked all the fuses and relays (with flashlight). Did not see
      anything obvious.

      Brand new battery, about 2 months old new. Checked the connections to
      the battery terminals. Seem fine.

      It's too cold and dark for any more diagnostics right now. Tired and
      frustrated...

      First thing I'm going to check is for good ground from battery
      negative terminal into the chassis.

      Then I think I need to start hunting down shorts.

      But I don't know where to begin.
    • bnancarrow
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2007
        --- In bmwe28@..., "bnancarrow" <blaken@...> wrote:
        > First thing I'm going to check is for good ground from battery
        > negative terminal into the chassis.

        Update on dead car.

        Went out this morning at around 7:30am. Unlocked driver door with
        key. Heard the solenoids in the other doors weakly move. Hmmm.
        Power to the rest of the car.

        Key in ignition. Turned to the ON position. Everything lit up as per
        usual, clock, instrument cluster idiot lights, etc.

        Fired motor. It started immediately! Woo hoo.

        Turned on lights SLOWLY. First click, to running lights or marker
        lights only. Everything OK. Next click to front headlights. Car
        shut down!

        Turned off. Tried to restart. Nothing!

        I'm baffled. What does this mean?
      • doug dykaar
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
          when my 85 535 had a REALLY dead battery, it didn't have enough voltage for
          the engine computer to operate - no start. I couldnlt bump start either. The
          headlights are a big load on the battery, and if the alternator isn't
          charging, or has a loose connection, you might get the symptoms you decribe.

          charge the battery, check the alternator (and associated wiring), and email
          us in the morning.

          Regards,

          doug
          Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

          85 535
          86 951 (http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393)
          94 855 turbo
        • Tery Wood Sr.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
            Sounds like you have a short in your Battery. As soon as you place a load on the unit it will arc over and kill everything. This is caused by the plates in the battery either cracking or touching each other. if you can get it running again and drive it to a auto store, they should be able to check it for you. Cold weather is a big cause of this. I hope this helps.

          • Blake Nancarrow
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
              Quoting doug dykaar <ddykaar@...>:

              > when my 85 535 had a REALLY dead battery, it didn't have enough voltage for
              > the engine computer to operate - no start. I couldnlt bump start either. The
              > headlights are a big load on the battery, and if the alternator isn't
              > charging, or has a loose connection, you might get the symptoms you decribe.
              >
              > charge the battery, check the alternator (and associated wiring), and email
              > us in the morning.

              This morning, I did a quick voltage check on the battery. 12.2 while connected
              to the car. Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, checked again. Same
              reading. That's reasonable given it's -6°C with wind chill to -16°C.

              Hooked the multi-meter in series with the battery and the negative line. Was
              getting a reading of 0.30 amps! There's a short somewhere!

              Finally pulled fuse #5 and the amps dropped to nearly zero. That circuit has
              central locking, glove box, seatbelt warning, antenna, instrument cluster,
              interior lights, trunk light, etc. Interior lights have not been working
              lately. Wonder if the problem is there.

              Tried starting the car. Nothing.

              Hooked up my portable boost battery and the car started. Disconnected the boost
              battery after 30 seconds, negative lead first, car still running, then positive,
              and the car died! Very weird! Spark when I touched the positive terminal.

              Redid this sequence, same thing happened.

              Unbolted, turned, and reconnected the positive battery connector. Works fine
              now! Car starts immediately.

              So, I'll buy a new battery connector. This one's pretty corroded... And I'll
              start tracing shorts in circuit 5...

              Thanks for the tips!

              cheers,
              bla

              (sent via Computer Ease webmail while at SOHOma)