HALP!

  • conman565
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2007
      Sorry about the title, you guys must get a lot of n00bs coming in here
      with that one, thought it'd get your attention. Anywho, to the point!

      I've got a 1986 528e that is misbehaving. It is outright refusing to
      start. It's been sitting in a heated garage, being started and driven
      regularly about once every month for 2 years. I went out to start it
      today and no dice. So I immediately thought it was the battery, and
      grabbed the one that I have on a trickle charger to start it with.
      Still, no dice. Also, I noticed that the clutch pedal doesn't return
      after I pressed it to start the engine.

      Needless to say, I'm a little worried, and I would really appreciate
      any and all input you guys and gals can give me on this.

      Much thanks in advance.
    • doug dykaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2007
        Sounds like more than one problem. Does the car crank?
        If no crank, then check battery terminals, battery ground connection and the
        wiring at the starter, all for lossness, and/or corrosion.
        If it cranks, check the fuel pump relay, using a jumper wire.

        clutch pedal can be leaky slave and or clutch master, or air in the line. If
        you can get the car in neutral, you can solve the no start first.
        The other cause of the clutch pedal to the floor, is the pedal frame cracks
        and allows the assembly to flex instead of actuating. Its a bitch to remove
        the car from the pedal frame (requies getting your head in the footwell),
        but $20 to have a welder repair it once its out. The pedal frame failure is
        common.

        At least your garage is heated. I'm off to rebuild a frozen brake caliper,
        here in southern Ontario Canada. Feh.

        Regards,

        doug
        Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh