last legs

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
      528e fans...

      The old girl is dying. I can't seem to repair her fast enough... Just
      put new tires on the beast but sprung a leak. Battled with rusty and
      thinwalled fuel lines last weekend and got her running again. For now.

      Ready to swap in the new front left wheel hub. I'll install the new
      lower control arm at the same time. Then new tie rods. Assuming
      nothing else breaks this week.

      At 564000 kilometres and many harsh Canadian winters and a lot of abuse
      on race tracks, I think this might be the last winter.

      Dry those eyes, chins up! I am foolishly considering a replacement of,
      yes, the same vintage. But I'd like to find a "clean" car, meaning
      rust-free.

      I'm starting to check the AutoTrader.com for E28 cars. I have two 1984
      528e cars now so a fair number of parts...

      The 535 is an option but not my first choice; M5 is out of my snack
      bracket. Mileage is not really critical. Colour not important. Paint
      condition not important. Manual; not automatic. Sunroof would be nice
      (did they all have that?). Seat condition not important. Chassis,
      floorboards, shock towers needs to be very free of rust. Dents and
      scratches OK but panels should be in good overall shape.

      All of you in Texas and Florida and Missouri and parts south (i.e. road
      salt free)? Maybe you can keep an eye out. If you know of a wrecker
      with a good car with blown engine... Someone selling their old baby.
      Or a barn car. I'll take good care of it.

      cheers,
      Blake
    • Tery Wood Sr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2007
        -What price range are you looking for? I have an 528e 85 in Tenessee
        thats in pretty hood shape. No rust I have quite a bit into the
        restoration, but my health is not that good and I can't work on her
        as much as I like
        -- In bmwe28@..., Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...> wrote:

        > 528e fans...
        >
        > The old girl is dying. I can't seem to repair her fast enough...
        Just
        > put new tires on the beast but sprung a leak. Battled with rusty
        and
        > thinwalled fuel lines last weekend and got her running again. For
        now.

        > Ready to swap in the new front left wheel hub. I'll install the
        new
        > lower control arm at the same time. Then new tie rods. Assuming
        > nothing else breaks this week.
        >
        > At 564000 kilometres and many harsh Canadian winters and a lot of
        abuse
        > on race tracks, I think this might be the last winter.
        >
        > Dry those eyes, chins up! I am foolishly considering a replacement
        of,
        > yes, the same vintage. But I'd like to find a "clean" car, meaning
        > rust-free.
        >
        > I'm starting to check the AutoTrader.com for E28 cars. I have two
        1984
        > 528e cars now so a fair number of parts...
        >
        > The 535 is an option but not my first choice; M5 is out of my
        snack
        > bracket. Mileage is not really critical. Colour not important.
        Paint
        > condition not important. Manual; not automatic. Sunroof would be
        nice
        > (did they all have that?). Seat condition not important. Chassis,
        > floorboards, shock towers needs to be very free of rust. Dents and
        > scratches OK but panels should be in good overall shape.
        >
        > All of you in Texas and Florida and Missouri and parts south (i.e.
        road
        > salt free)? Maybe you can keep an eye out. If you know of a
        wrecker
        > with a good car with blown engine... Someone selling their old
        baby.
        > Or a barn car. I'll take good care of it.
        >
        > cheers,
        > Blake

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2007
          what part of canada ?

          I have two 528e's that can move, cheap.

          A. ( located 35 south of canadian border/ south of winnepeg )
          1984 528e 5 speed
          160k ?
          under carriage has some rust spots, but car is solid
          outer body is good with some minor issues
          strut towers are fine
          struts/suspension needs work
          5th gear is questionable
          rear end and drive shaft are smooth at any speed
          power sunroof
          color Saphire ( metallic light blue/silver )
          cloth interior /blue driver's seat needs replacing
          some of under dash wiring has been canabalized for my 533
          500.oo

          B. ( located in Minneapolis )

          1984 528e 4 speed automatic
          97k
          *transmision is not working/ only reverse
          new replaced "drag link" steering stabalizer bar
          new replaced front struts OEM
          new replaced front rotors
          new replaced alternator
          new replaced starter
          pearl beige leather interior mint condition
          body overall good condition /minor rust or body work
          exterior bahama beige
          900.oo

          --- In bmwe28@..., Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...> wrote:

          > 528e fans...
          >
          > The old girl is dying. I can't seem to repair her fast enough... Just
          > put new tires on the beast but sprung a leak. Battled with rusty and
          > thinwalled fuel lines last weekend and got her running again. For now.
          >
          > Ready to swap in the new front left wheel hub. I'll install the new
          > lower control arm at the same time. Then new tie rods. Assuming
          > nothing else breaks this week.
          >
          > At 564000 kilometres and many harsh Canadian winters and a lot of abuse
          > on race tracks, I think this might be the last winter.
          >
          > Dry those eyes, chins up! I am foolishly considering a replacement of,
          > yes, the same vintage. But I'd like to find a "clean" car, meaning
          > rust-free.
          >
          > I'm starting to check the AutoTrader.com for E28 cars. I have two 1984
          > 528e cars now so a fair number of parts...
          >
          > The 535 is an option but not my first choice; M5 is out of my snack
          > bracket. Mileage is not really critical. Colour not important. Paint
          > condition not important. Manual; not automatic. Sunroof would be nice
          > (did they all have that?). Seat condition not important. Chassis,
          > floorboards, shock towers needs to be very free of rust. Dents and
          > scratches OK but panels should be in good overall shape.
          >
          > All of you in Texas and Florida and Missouri and parts south (i.e. road
          > salt free)? Maybe you can keep an eye out. If you know of a wrecker
          > with a good car with blown engine... Someone selling their old baby.
          > Or a barn car. I'll take good care of it.
          >
          > cheers,
          > Blake

        • KK P
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
            There are a lot of E28's here in the San Francisco &
            the Bay Area. Mine has zero rust on it.
            Keith '84 533i