Advice on exhaust

  • phatbimma
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2007
      hi there

      Im running a uk 87 525e and recently the back box or rear silencer
      has started to blow. I have noticed that the only thing that holds up
      this piece apart from the connection to the mid silencer is a bracket
      on a rubber ring. This i think explains the fact that the join from
      the pipe to said silencer has perished.

      I have another car for spares, a 520i, and on that the tailpipe has
      also got a bracket attached to it, rendering the whole of the rear
      silencer absolutely stable and not putting pressure on the join that
      has perished on my 525e.

      I am wondering if this is a common remedy, do other people have this
      problem, and also if there is a BMW standard fix/bracket for this job
      or will it be a DIY job as it seems the previous owner has attempted
      on the 520i?

      All advice gratefully appriciated as always,

      best,

      Sami
    • Phil Howard
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2007
        Sami,

        The exhaust on my 525e (also UK) seems very stable - as soon as is
        stops raining/hailing/snowing i'll shove my head underneath for a
        look for you and see how mine is mounted. I know for certain that
        just before the rear axle there should be 2 rubber rings holding the
        centre section up (had to replace one for the last MOT).

        Phil
        --- In bmwe28@..., phatbimma <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > hi there
        >
        > Im running a uk 87 525e and recently the back box or rear silencer
        > has started to blow. I have noticed that the only thing that holds
        up
        > this piece apart from the connection to the mid silencer is a
        bracket
        > on a rubber ring. This i think explains the fact that the join
        from
        > the pipe to said silencer has perished.
        >
        > I have another car for spares, a 520i, and on that the tailpipe
        has
        > also got a bracket attached to it, rendering the whole of the rear
        > silencer absolutely stable and not putting pressure on the join
        that
        > has perished on my 525e.
        >
        > I am wondering if this is a common remedy, do other people have
        this
        > problem, and also if there is a BMW standard fix/bracket for this
        job
        > or will it be a DIY job as it seems the previous owner has
        attempted
        > on the 520i?
        >
        > All advice gratefully appriciated as always,
        >
        > best,
        >
        > Sami

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2007
          sami

          exhaust system sounds identical to the us version:

          1. two rubber o-rings support in front of axle
          2. larger/heavier o-ring at rear of exhaust

          ( the rear o-ring is custom shaped and fits a certain way into brackets,
          this ring is bit trickier to install, a little lubricant might help )

          good luck- nutty

          --- In bmwe28@..., phatbimma <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > hi there
          >
          > Im running a uk 87 525e and recently the back box or rear silencer
          > has started to blow. I have noticed that the only thing that holds up
          > this piece apart from the connection to the mid silencer is a bracket
          > on a rubber ring. This i think explains the fact that the join from
          > the pipe to said silencer has perished.
          >
          > I have another car for spares, a 520i, and on that the tailpipe has
          > also got a bracket attached to it, rendering the whole of the rear
          > silencer absolutely stable and not putting pressure on the join that
          > has perished on my 525e.
          >
          > I am wondering if this is a common remedy, do other people have this
          > problem, and also if there is a BMW standard fix/bracket for this job
          > or will it be a DIY job as it seems the previous owner has attempted
          > on the 520i?
          >
          > All advice gratefully appriciated as always,
          >
          > best,
          >
          > Sami

        • Brett Peavey
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
            hey i need to get an ignition key cut. or can i
            bypass the lock on the column? anyone ever need to
            get an ignition key cut? approximately how much? any ideas.

            Brett Peavey
            Microwave Component Sources
            Ph. 904.721.3711
            Fax. 904-721-3714
            Cell. 904.210.6573
            PV9@...
            www.microwavecomponentsources.com

          • Steve Haygood
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
              fax a dealer your license and registration or title. I have a dealer contact
              if you need it
              Steve

              Steve Haygood
              BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
              Official 5er Fest Sponsor since '03
              Official Sharkfest Sponsor since '03
              www.stevehaygood.com <http://www.stevehaygood.com/>
              www.patchworkparrot.com

              _____

              PV9@... <mailto:PV9%40Yahoo.com>
              www.microwavecomponentsources.com

              http://tools. <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather>

              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2007
                can you believe this...what a shitty day. is there
                anyway to engage the trunk unlock via the central
                locking system? i really dont feeling like buying a
                100 ft. extension cord and sawing through the
                backseat. any advise would be great.

                Brett Peavey
                Microwave Component Sources
                Ph. 904.721.3711
                Fax. 904-721-3714
                Cell. 904.210.6573
                PV9@...
                www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                ____________________________________________________________________________________Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                that gives answers, not web links.
              • Guy DiCesare
                Message 7 of 9 , May 14, 2007
                  Brett: If you contact BMW with the VIN number (and
                  proof of ownership) they will be able to give a
                  locksmith the necessary info to cut a new key. takes a
                  little time but better than the alternative.
                  otherwise, a qualified locksmith might be able to give
                  you an assist by drilling out the trunk lockset and
                  replacing with a new one (maybe not keyed the same,
                  though).. Good luck. Guy
                  --- Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:

                  > can you believe this...what a shitty day. is there
                  > anyway to engage the trunk unlock via the central
                  > locking system? i really dont feeling like buying a
                  > 100 ft. extension cord and sawing through the
                  > backseat. any advise would be great.
                  >
                  > Brett Peavey
                  > Microwave Component Sources
                  > Ph. 904.721.3711
                  > Fax. 904-721-3714
                  > Cell. 904.210.6573
                  > PV9@...
                  > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Yahoo!
                  > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                  > that gives answers, not web links.

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                • Guy DiCesare
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 14, 2007
                    Brett: I have been told you need a specially cut key
                    (very pricey) if I want a spare key made. I have gone
                    to a hardware store and had a 3 dollar key cut from a
                    regular blank and cannot find ANYTHING that the new,
                    cheap key cannot do (compared to the factory-supplied
                    one). Mine is an 88 535is. Good luck. Guy
                    --- Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:

                    > can you believe this...what a shitty day. is there
                    > anyway to engage the trunk unlock via the central
                    > locking system? i really dont feeling like buying a
                    > 100 ft. extension cord and sawing through the
                    > backseat. any advise would be great.
                    >
                    > Brett Peavey
                    > Microwave Component Sources
                    > Ph. 904.721.3711
                    > Fax. 904-721-3714
                    > Cell. 904.210.6573
                    > PV9@...
                    > www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                    > oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                    > that gives answers, not web links.

                    ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.
                  • bimmernutjob
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 19, 2007
                      with VIN number and proof of ownership, you shpuld be able to order a new master key
                      from bimmer dealer, I've reordered new master keys, it was not expensive and then you
                      have a proper master spare