Unleaded Fuel Compatibility

  • nicovisser1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2007
      I have a 1986 520i and can not find any useful information as to the
      cars compatibility to unleaded fuel.I stay in South Africa.Can anybody
      help?
    • bimmernutjob
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2007
        nico

        does south africa use leaded gas ? I'm in the states, all cars have been using unleaded
        gas since 1976, I think..? It's my guess that an 86 vehicle would have been designed to
        run on unleaded fuel (?)

        1. Does it have a catalytic converter ?

        2. also cars using unleaded have a smaller fuel inlet, which doesn't allow the larger
        leaded style nozzle to insert

        any of this sound familiar ??

        regards nutty

        --- In bmwe28@..., "nicovisser1" <nicovisser1@...> wrote:

        > I have a 1986 520i and can not find any useful information as to the
        > cars compatibility to unleaded fuel.I stay in South Africa.Can anybody
        > help?

      • janice harrison
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
          --- In bmwe28@..., "nicovisser1" <nicovisser1@...> wrote:

          > I have a 1986 520i and can not find any useful information as to the
          > cars compatibility to unleaded fuel.I stay in South Africa.Can
          anybody
          > help?

          In Australia my 85 520i runs ok on 94 octane unleaded fuel. Just keep
          adding the upper cylinder lubricant at each fill up
        • bimmernutjob
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
            In my experience, I have not seen any problems running unleaded fuel in a car designed for
            leaded fuel. There are additives designed for valve seats...I used the additives on a 1970
            vehicle, which I drove until the 80's, but eventually ran it without additives, and never had a
            problem.