E28 electric fan setup

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2007
      Has anyone installed electric fans on their e28. I have a 1988 535is and the fan clutch is bad. I've thought about replacing with electric (due to additional cooling and added hp). Can anyone give me advice (if you know of a model/manufacturer/etc...that will work on our e28s).

      Thanks,

    • drft4life21
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2007
        --- In bmwe28@..., David Rodriguez <daverodus@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone installed electric fans on their e28. I have a 1988
        535is and the fan clutch is bad. I've thought about replacing with
        electric (due to additional cooling and added hp). Can anyone give me
        advice (if you know of a model/manufacturer/etc...that will work on
        our e28s).

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Yeah, if you find out please let me know as well. im very interested
        in getting rid of that dam fan. flex a lite fans would probably work
        but im not positive.

      • bimmernutjob
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2007
          The clutch fan is generally engaged at lower speeds ( city ) and saves engine power at
          highy speeds when not needed as much. Electric fan in front is a type of auxillary fan for
          addional cooling, AC condensor/usage, city driving, idiling, and even after shut-off when
          working properly.

          I would be cautious of "Jerry-rigging" your BMW, unless you have researched this, and
          discovered an improvement. My best advice is to maintain your current system, read
          Larry's advice on BMW anti-freeze, replace clutch-fan with OEM product, etc ...

          regards, nutty