Re: [bmw e28] Re: E28 electric fan setup

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
      Here's the question: Does any one know of a company that sells an electric fan(s) kit for an e28?

      It's definitely a given that electric fans cool better (especially at low speed or a stopped idle) and pull less power from the engine (higher hp). Alot of people have been switching them on all sorts of vehicles (including hotrods). The only question is: is there a kit that I can install to get the job done. I've seen this done many times just not with E28's. I'm talking about pulling the factory fan and shroud and then installing 1-2 electric fans including a shroud that fits the fans. Removing the factory fan completely. I'm not talking about the axillary fan. You'd never have to deal with another fan clutch replacement.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
        I've read alot of forums about this and I can't believe that people generally think that a mechanical fan is better. They have got to be kidding. It is a well known fact that an electric fan is much better. That is why new cars almost all have electric fans. I've seen them on dyno's many times and electric fans are alway better (improving hp and mpg) and cool better at lower temps. Using a mechanical fan, the engine slows at idle and as a result the fan slows. Electric fans actually run faster at idle an push more cfm's which results in better coolant properties. Not to mention that the electric vs mechanical uses less hp.

        Fact: Electric fans are better.

        Check it out for yourself.

        Question: Has anyone done this before on a e28?

        Here's the question: Does any one know of a company that sells an electric fan(s) kit for an e28?

        It's definitely a given that electric fans cool better (especially at low speed or a stopped idle) and pull less power from the engine (higher hp). Alot of people have been switching them on all sorts of vehicles (including hotrods). The only question is: is there a kit that I can install to get the job done. I've seen this done many times just not with E28's. I'm talking about pulling the factory fan and shroud and then installing 1-2 electric fans including a shroud that fits the fans. Removing the factory fan completely. I'm not talking about the axillary fan. You'd never have to deal with another fan clutch replacement.

        The clutch fan is generally engaged at lower speeds ( city ) and saves engine power at
        highy speeds when not needed as much. Electric fan in front is a type of auxillary fan for
        addional cooling, AC condensor/usage, city driving, idiling, and even after shut-off when
        working properly.

        I would be cautious of "Jerry-rigging" your BMW, unless you have researched this, and
        discovered an improvement. My best advice is to maintain your current system, read
        Larry's advice on BMW anti-freeze, replace clutch-fan with OEM product, etc ...

        regards, nutty

        --- In bmwe28@yahoogroups. co.uk, David Rodriguez <daverodus@. ..> wrote:

        > Has anyone installed electric fans on their e28. I have a 1988 535is and the fan clutch
        is bad. I've thought about replacing with electric (due to additional cooling and added hp).
        Can anyone give me advice (if you know of a model/manufacturer/ etc...that will work on
        our e28s).

        > Thanks,

        > http://tv.yahoo. com/collections/ 222

      • Ed MacVaugh
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
          You seem to have your mind made up and nobody is going to change it.

          If your logic worked, then BMW would certainly be using all electric
          fans in the current models. They are not. They are using electric water
          pumps . . . but not all electric fans.

          The main reason most manufacturers have gone to electric fans is that
          the viscous clutch is expensive and heavy, but mostly because the
          majority of cars sold are front wheel drive with a side mounted engine.
          In those cars, a two fan setup is easier and cheaper for the
          manufacturer than a side mounted radiator or right angled fan.

          Because the engineering crew at BMW chose a combined electric
          fan/mechanical fan setup for the air conditioned cars, and it works, no
          one can justify developing an all electric setup for an E28.

          Nobody but you would buy it.

          Google "spal" if you want to fabricate your own.

          Ed

          David Rodriguez wrote:

          > I've read alot of forums about this and I can't believe that people
          > generally think that a mechanical fan is better.
        • Steve Haygood
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
            I ran nothing but the AC condenser electric fan fan on 2 BMW cars for years,
            a highly modified 79 635 and a 83 533 in Ga heat , car would get to about
            5/8th of gauge, fan would come on and engine would cool off. I considered
            adding an additional fan, but decided it wasn't required. Just my
            observation
            Steve

            Steve Haygood
            BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
            Official 5er Fest Sponsor since '03
            Official Sharkfest Sponsor since '03
            www.stevehaygood.com <http://www.stevehaygood.com/>
            www.patchworkparrot.com

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
              Steve,

              I didn't mean to suggest that the electric setup wouldn't work. Quite
              the contrary, I believe it would work well. Non-A/C euro cars were sold
              by the thousands with only the electric fans.

              The problem with the use of the electric fans in that era cars was that
              a loss of the fan wasn't immediately detectable by the driver, nor the
              ECU. The ECU would happily continue to feed fuel and spark to the engine
              if it were melting. The driver's first indication of the fan failure was
              generally a high water temp situation, which required monitoring of that
              water temp gauge. If that failed, or if the driver had his sunglasses
              on, was inattentive, or tried to get home before it got hotter . . .

              I left my 6er idling outside my apartment to keep it cool one afternoon
              with a failed aux fan and cracked the head.

              Ed

              Steve Haygood wrote:

              > I ran nothing but the AC condenser electric fan fan on 2 BMW cars for years,
              > a highly modified 79 635 and a 83 533 in Ga heat , car would get to about
              > 5/8th of gauge, fan would come on and engine would cool off. I considered
              > adding an additional fan, but decided it wasn't required. Just my
              > observation
              > Steve
            • Steve Haygood
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
                exactly, i always was conscious of temp, and sometimes that was a bit
                annoying to worry about it,but that should probably be done even if the main
                fan is left intact anyway
                cheers

                Steve Haygood wrote:

                > I ran nothing but the AC condenser electric fan fan on 2 BMW cars for
                years,
                > a highly modified 79 635 and a 83 533 in Ga heat , car would get to about
                > 5/8th of gauge, fan would come on and engine would cool off. I considered
                > adding an additional fan, but decided it wasn't required. Just my
                > observation
                > Steve

              • David Rodriguez
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
                  Guys, didn't mean to be abrasive. When I posted I just got through reading a ton of forums about the subject in which people were arguing about which is best. Like Ed said, I have kind of made up my mind. I can definitely understand why BMW would not institute (probably due the logic that Ed mentioned). It's good logic, if you're a car manufacturer. But in my case, I've got an aging 535 that I love and pay alot of attention to. I am in the deep south and I am in town most of the time. I want to maximize cooling and power (plus I get some extra space as well)(and I hope I can make it look cool as well). I submitted the question hoping I'd get a response that said something like "oh yea, I did that to my car, here is the part numbers, phone numbers, and some pics and instructions on how I did it". Can anyone help out. If it is too difficult, I'll just stay with the mechanical fan. Thanks for all of the help, I check out this listserv all the time
                  for advice.