couple of questions - a/c - fuel smell - boot leak

  • phatbimma
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
      Hello All - I am running a UK 525e '87 - wondering if anyone has
      every looked into installing Air conditioning into one of these or
      might be able to offer a bit of a heads up re the ease/cost with which
      this can be done.

      Also can now smell petrol from the engine bay after the car has been
      running - this disappears after a time - cant see any obvious leak but
      are there any usual suspects to check??

      Finally I've got the familiar leaky boot - any special fixes bar a new
      seal - which to sight looks in good condition - I could never really
      solve this on a previous e28 either.

      Thanks in advance,

      Sami
    • Phil Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
        The a/c will be a major job labor wise. The parts at a salvage yard here usually run $150-$300 and the way to do it is pull it yourself. That way you know what all is involved. Look at the system in realoem to get an idea of what all is involved.

        Inspect all fuel hoses, clamps, connections and look closely at the injectors when starting cold - they leak and if they do replace it/them!! You can also have the injectors cleaned tested at a place that specializes in that process (some shops have the equipment to do this in house).

        What boot?

        Phil Davis

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
          In regard to the petrol smell ,I found a loose hose clamp on the cold start injector which is hidden from view under the manifold ( a blue injector) check it as well. John from Oz.

          Hello All - I am running a UK 525e '87 - wondering if anyone has
          every looked into installing Air conditioning into one of these or
          might be able to offer a bit of a heads up re the ease/cost with which
          this can be done.

          Also can now smell petrol from the engine bay after the car has been
          running - this disappears after a time - cant see any obvious leak but
          are there any usual suspects to check??

          Finally I've got the familiar leaky boot - any special fixes bar a new
          seal - which to sight looks in good condition - I could never really
          solve this on a previous e28 either.

          Thanks in advance,

          Sami

          http://mail. yahoo.com

        • phatbimma
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
            Many thanks chaps - I'll take a look at those hoses now - in terms of
            the boot i mean the 'trunk' - its always damp and letting in water and
            was just wondering if there was an adjustment/easy fix rather than
            changing the whole seal,cheers, Sami

            --- In bmwe28@..., john holst <grafton_56@...> wrote:

            > In regard to the petrol smell ,I found a loose hose clamp on the
            cold start injector which is hidden from view under the manifold ( a
            blue injector) check it as well. John from Oz.

          • Agent Midnight
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2007
              Sami,
              As for your damp boot, make sure you remove ALL the trim in it on a day you have some free time including the spare tire, Etc. Get a shop light and shine it all around and look for any rust that could be a entry point or even holes. Many times with all the trim and the tire Etc. people find they have a hole in the boot and never knew it. Many times people will spend a lot of money, time and energy on a new boot gasket then still find water geting in. Another area to check that many people miss is the REAR LIGHT GASKETS. There is a black foam like gasket that goes between the rear lights and the inside of the boot. If that fails water works it's way in. also check the rear lights and number plate lights for any cracks/openings Etc.

              One last thought/idea is that sometimes it turns out to be more then one problem in the same area. In the case of my 528e I had a warn out boot seal, a hole in my spare tire well and water geting into my rear lights then entering the boot. All in all not sure what came first and caused what to happen but it sure let the water right on in. It can all be fixed pretty easily, just with a bit of time.

              Best of luck,
              -Dana Sion ( USA)
              Many thanks chaps - I'll take a look at those hoses now - in terms of
              the boot i mean the 'trunk' - its always damp and letting in water and
              was just wondering if there was an adjustment/easy fix rather than
              changing the whole seal,cheers, Sami

              --- In bmwe28@..., john holst <grafton_56@...> wrote:

              > In regard to the petrol smell ,I found a loose hose clamp on the
              cold start injector which is hidden from view under the manifold ( a
              blue injector) check it as well. John from Oz.

              Virus Database (VPS): 000782-0, 10/17/2007
              Tested on: 10/22/2007 17:27:08