Onboard Computer Programming

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
      G'Day again,

      My 535i's onboard computer does not work. It does have power to it,
      but it just show's garbage across the screen. The guy I bought it from
      said it does work but needs to be "Programmed." He indicated he
      ordered the instructions from Germany, but they would not be in for
      some time, and the ones available to him were in German only.

      1) Is this true, the computer has to be programmed?
      2) If so, is there some instructions available in "English" that could
      help me get it running correctly?
      3) If you need more information, just let me know what you need...

      Thanks,
      David B
      1986 BMW 535i
      119,000+ Miles
    • Phil Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2007
        When you say garbage do you mean like the display has bad pixels? or its in another language? If its in another language that is explained in the owners manual (do you have one?). If not I think I do and can make a copy. If its a bad OBC dash unit I have a few used ones. Ping me off list.

        Phil Davis

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2007
          You might want to check out a bimmer website at
          www.bavauto.com and "Ask Atto". He is pretty fast at
          getting an answer for people.
          Jerry
          86 5351, 88 535is
          --- David <Groups.DethanB@...> wrote:

          > G'Day again,
          >
          > My 535i's onboard computer does not work. It does
          > have power to it,
          > but it just show's garbage across the screen. The
          > guy I bought it from
          > said it does work but needs to be "Programmed." He
          > indicated he
          > ordered the instructions from Germany, but they
          > would not be in for
          > some time, and the ones available to him were in
          > German only.
          >
          > 1) Is this true, the computer has to be programmed?
          > 2) If so, is there some instructions available in
          > "English" that could
          > help me get it running correctly?
          > 3) If you need more information, just let me know
          > what you need...
          >
          > Thanks,
          > David B
          > 1986 BMW 535i
          > 119,000+ Miles

        • David
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 25, 2007
            > You might want to check out a bimmer website at
            > www.bavauto.com and "Ask Atto". He is pretty fast at
            > getting an answer for people.
            > Jerry
            > 86 5351, 88 535is

            I'll do that, thank you...

            > > G'Day again,
            > >
            > > My 535i's onboard computer does not work. It does
            > > have power to it,
            > > but it just show's garbage across the screen. The
            > > guy I bought it from
            > > said it does work but needs to be "Programmed." He
            > > indicated he
            > > ordered the instructions from Germany, but they
            > > would not be in for
            > > some time, and the ones available to him were in
            > > German only.
            > >
            > > 1) Is this true, the computer has to be programmed?
            > > 2) If so, is there some instructions available in
            > > "English" that could
            > > help me get it running correctly?
            > > 3) If you need more information, just let me know
            > > what you need...
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > David B
            > > 1986 BMW 535i
            > > 119,000+ Miles

          • doug dykaar
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 26, 2007
              The only "programming" I'm aware of is choosing
              English or metric units for
              display.

              Over time the connections between the display and the
              circuit board go bad.
              BMW has a silly contact scheme using a pad with
              vertically oriented
              conductors, in an isolating matrix - it looks like a
              foam pad, and works
              about as well. You can buy a new computer for as
              little as $20 on ebay, but
              make sure the segments are all working.

              Regards,

              doug