Fuel/Petrol Tank 1988 525e 2.7ltr (E28)

  • saffylabella
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hey every one, any on here know where I could source a reasonably
      priced fuel/petrol tank, mine seems to leak fuel when full. Susspect
      the neck has a hole??

      Cheers
      Rach
    • oneshot179@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
        remove old tank get it patched up with weld

      • Agent Midnight
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
          I know this sounds silly but on my E28 I found I was geting a fuel smell when I filled up. At some point I got into that habit of filling up as full as I could, well I read in a repair manual that it is bad to do that even on a brand new BMW as it can overflow into the charcol canister/filter and cause problems Etc. So I made sure to stop that and the smell issue as gone away 99% of the time. I think it may be sorts of like that old job about the guy who goes to the doctor " Doc it hurts when I go like "this"... Then don't go like that says the doctor"(GRIN).

          Can't hurt to try that, then again if its LEAKING as in you can see petro on the ground then this would not help at all.

          -Dana

          Hey every one, any on here know where I could source a reasonably
          priced fuel/petrol tank, mine seems to leak fuel when full. Susspect
          the neck has a hole??

          Cheers
          Rach

          Virus Database (VPS): 000782-0, 10/17/2007
          Tested on: 10/23/2007 16:51:27

        • saffylabella
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
            --- In bmwe28@..., oneshot179@... wrote:

            > remove old tank get it patched up with weld

            Many Thanks for all your advice, I think the hole is on the neck so
            might be tricky to weld at that point, will have another good look at
            it. Thanks again Rachel
          • john holst
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
              Fuel tanks are repairable ,some radiator repairers may be able to help.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
                Another possibility the fuel outlet on the top of the tank, the rubber gasket can fail causing the fuel to spill over.. there is a access cover in the boot floor with three screws ,so next time you fill up check for leaks.
                good luck John from Oz.

                http://au.docs yahoo.com/ mail/unlimitedst orage.html