Re: [bmw e28] Re: Heat and lots of it

  • Agent Midnight
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2007
      Hello,
      I have a question for all of you regarding my
      e28, 1986 528e. I have some ideas about this but am looking
      for others input/ideas to help narrow things down. I have
      heard about people geting no heat or little heat. My problem now is that I get all heat and nothing but heat regardless if I have the Temp. control knob all the way to the left or right.
      What should I check first and has this happen to any one else.
      Thankfully I can just use the outside air vent to regulate the air to keep things cooler. I also just had a new radiator put in and thermostat. The Temp. guage works (goes to the red if the hose blows(found that out before the new radiator ;-) ) and sits all the way to the left when the car is off HOWEVER it never sits straight up in the middle like I have read in some manuals it should. The mechanic says it's "ok" like that.

      Not sure if any of that is realated,
      Thanks
      -Dana

    • doug dykaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2007
        Dana,

        Start with the heater monovalve. If you haven't
        replaced it, its prolly
        time. See realoem.com for pix. Its an easy R&R, its
        right up at the top of
        the engine bay, on the driver's side of the firewall,
        four screws. The cheap
        aftermarket version won't last long; The valve has a
        very thin gasket in
        there (thatÂ’s what fails) and the cheap one fails MUCH
        sooner.

        The usual failure mode is uncontrolled cycling, but I
        could get my second
        one to hang on full heat, so I could survive in winter
        without getting
        another...

        Regards,

        doug