Oil Pressure Light

  • jforbey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2007
      I've got an e28; an '84 533i. It has always run excellent and though
      I've taken care of it I have come to an impasse. A couple of weeks
      ago I ran through high water.(about 12") I finally pushed it off of
      the street where the water ran high, attempted to start it and at
      first it did not. I guess water ran into the exhaust to kill it. The
      engine oil was changed as soon as I got home; as were the trans and
      rear end oils. Since then the oil light on the dash has been coming
      on sporatically. The valve seals are worn so I have to add oil quite
      often. Will the valve seals being worn reduce oil pressure? Another
      thing I wondered was did anyone have problems with the oil canister
      check valve sticking? Also I notice a clatter noise coming from the
      oil pump area. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not but generally at
      the same RPM and sometimes the noise corresponds to oil light flicker.
      Can the oil canister starve the pump for oil?

      Thanks Alot,

      John F. Forbey
    • john holst
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2007
        Hi, If the valve seals are worn the oil will run in to the combustion area causing the car to have access smoke from the exhaust.You say the the oil light is flickering in sync. with a noise I would have the oil pump or the mounting of the pump to the block checked which is critical for a flow seal. John from Oz.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2007
          John,

          Check the sender unit. Top rear of the head on the
          drivers side. Mine
          started leaking oil through the electrical connector.
          (Probably not your
          issue)

          There's also some sort of sender on the bottom of the
          oil pan, behind a
          cover. That is pretty low down.

          Regards,

          doug