1986 bmw 528(e); m20; 56,000 miles

  • sachida_raman
    Message 1 of 4 , 25 Nov 18:47
      I have been noticing that the auxiliary fan (blue ceramic) fuse (25A)
      is somewhat melting...but the fuse is not blown -just very discolored.
      I just put in a new one. The end points that hold the fuse is not that
      secure as a result of the melting. Should I decrease the Amp a size
      down? What risk to the entire fuse box?

      Many thanks
    • R & T Bull
      Message 2 of 4 , 26 Nov 01:10
        Check that the fan is working well and not being restricted in any way
        which may increase it's load. sometimes worn bearings cause this. Don't
        decrease the fuse rating. The fan is only designed to come on at high
        temperature or when the aircon is switched on. Check that it is not
        coming on all the time regardless.
      • doug dykaar
        Message 3 of 4 , 26 Nov 05:27
          Sachida,

          The heat is generated by resistance at the contacts.
          Heat is proportional to
          the current squared times the resistance, so for high
          current circuits like
          a fan, its key to avoid resistance. Clean out the old
          plastic and emery
          cloth (lightly sand) the contacts.

          If the contacts are loose (are they floppy loose, or
          just bent away from the
          correct position?), that needs to be fixed. The
          contacts need to press
          against the fuse contacts. You can make a temporary
          fix using a rubber band,
          but that will fail over time as the rubber gets old.
          You can probably remove
          the fuse box cover - after disconnecting ground at the
          battery, and see if
          the contacts for the fuse just warped from the heat or
          need to be replaced.
          Ypu may be able to bend themback without removing the
          cover, it'll depend on
          your tools, access and skill level. Be careful bending
          them too much as the
          bending causes the metal to "work harden" i.e. get
          brittle, and after a
          couple cycles, it'll break.

          YMMV.

          Regards,

          doug
          Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

          86 951
          (http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393)
          94 855 turbo
          00 540
          85 535 (sold)

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          Date: 11/25/2007 12:00
          AM
        • sachida_raman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2007
            Cleaned cotnacts of fuse. No luck. Fan bearings I am told is okay.

            Does anyone have any ideas on how to reconfigure the auxiliary fan fuse
            so that it is housed separately and is independent of the fuse box?

            Thanks, Sach