My new 533i

  • danieldoss2001
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 24, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I just drove home a 1984 533i. Although, it needs a bit of work, I'm
      very proud of it. My goal is total restoration. First things first. The
      gauges on the instrument panel don't work. I'm told it's a matter of a
      poor eletronic connections. Anyone have or hear about a similar
      problem. I need to get this fixed ASAP. Your help is greatly
      appreciated.

      Doss
    • John Forbey
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 24, 2008
        Yes, I like call it water spot but I guess it is the humidity and movement of electricity that combine and cause the problem.  Just keep them contact points clean.  It's just the car uses alot of electricity.  I've got a 9/83 533i in pretty good shape.

        John
        jforbey@...

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2008
          Daniel,
          could you pls attach a picture of your car to the mail. i would like see it.

          jforbey@yahoo. com

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2008
            --- In bmwe28@..., Azali atan <az3163@...> wrote:
            >Sure, no problem. I had an overheating problem today. The culprit
            seems to be a faulty fan clutch. Should be an easy fix. I was driving
            in some pretty heavy LA traffic today. As heavy as it gets here.
            Massive pile up on the 101 freeway. Hopefully, nothing got too hot. I
            have a problem with the instrument cluster. The temp worked enough to
            tell me that if I kept moving the engine temp would stay low. Still,
            the whole episode was pretty scary.

            > Daniel,
            > could you pls attach a picture of your car to the mail. i would
            like see it.

          • Daniel Doss
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hey John,
              My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
              Dan

              >Sure, no problem. I had an overheating problem today. The culprit
              seems to be a faulty fan clutch. Should be an easy fix. I was driving
              in some pretty heavy LA traffic today. As heavy as it gets here.
              Massive pile up on the 101 freeway. Hopefully, nothing got too hot. I
              have a problem with the instrument cluster. The temp worked enough to
              tell me that if I kept moving the engine temp would stay low. Still,
              the whole episode was pretty scary.

              > Daniel,
              > could you pls attach a picture of your car to the mail. i would
              like see it.

            • jforbey
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                I know I had to replace the fan clutch and it made a difference in
                the temp. It was just slipping too much. The old one lost fluid at
                the front through the...viscous coupling?

                John
                Any thing happens with that thing and I can probably give you
                unwarranted advise on it! I have changed/serviced/cont. to service
                it!

                --- In bmwe28@..., Daniel Doss <danieldoss2001@...>
                wrote:

                > Hey John,
                > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                > Dan

              • Daniel Doss
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Good morning John,
                  Hey, now that you mention it, over the weekend I tried to install a power steering pump. I went to the local pick-a-part this weekend and pulled a brand new looking pump off a 6 series. Even though it looked exactly the same it did not work. The pump screamed bloody murder. I pumped the brakes and turned the wheel to hopefully get the air out of the system. Unfortunately, this did not work. I was forced to put the old pump back on. Now, it sounds worse. I went back to do a little research and found that the pump does have filter. I'm going to try cleaning that. Any advise??
                  Have a great day,
                  Daniel

                  --- In bmwe28@yahoogroups. co.uk, Daniel Doss <danieldoss2001@ ...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hey John,
                  > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                  been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                  clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                  overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                  would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                  sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                  problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                  bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                  front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                  work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                  reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                  fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                  see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                  remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                  > Dan

                • Gil Thereault
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Hello,  Had you replaced the filter first there would have been no need to rebuild the pump.  I did the same thing rebuilding the pump.  The filter is at the very bottom of the PS reservoir.  That filter is less then $20.00 US.

                    Gil
                    86 535i 195k

                    wrote:

                    > Hey John,
                    > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                    been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                    clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                    overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                    would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                    sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                    problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                    bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                    front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                    work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                    reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                    fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                    see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                    remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                    > Dan

                  • John Forbey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
                      Hello 'O blessed folken 'O mine own seeouul!

                      Yeah, I had that campaign too.  Take off the clip inside the reservoir along the center stud and there is another cover below that.  Take off that cover(like upside down bowl) and the filter will be below it.  I suggest replacement, however, of the filter because there is contaminated oil in the system, having done it's circulation for a time and creating the sludge that is on the filter and not allowing the fluid to flow into the pump on the return side.  Whatever you do, use the dexron to clean filter and refill w/ dexron.  Good enough? ha.

                      Good Luck,

                      wrote:

                      > Hey John,
                      > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                      been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                      clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                      overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                      would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                      sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                      problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                      bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                      front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                      work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                      reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                      fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                      see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                      remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                      > Dan

                    • John Forbey
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
                        -on the ps pump,

                        oh yeah, the screeching noise is the suction from the pump on the return side.  ...just thought you'd like to know that!

                        Forb

                        wrote:

                        > Hey John,
                        > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                        been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                        clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                        overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                        would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                        sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                        problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                        bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                        front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                        work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                        reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                        fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                        see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                        remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                        > Dan

                      • Daniel Doss
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                          Excellent to know. Thank you John. This weekend I'm going to tear the whole thing apart and clean it all up. Hey John, once again much thanks for the info. I'm a runner/messenger for a television show. We use our own cars for this purpose. Production starts in August and my goal is to get this car in decent running order before then. Your help and everyone's in the group is invaluable to me! Great "Car"ma to all.
                          Take care,
                          Daniel Doss

                          wrote:

                          > Hey John,
                          > My apologies for not posting pics. I will do it this weekend. I've
                          been pulling my hair out with this overheating problem. I had the fan
                          clutch and the thermostat replaced just yesterday and it was still
                          overheating. After just two minutes of the car running the system
                          would become pressurized and fluid would start to leak out of the
                          sensor in the coolant resevoir. This morning I discovered the
                          problem. When the system started overheating a helpful mechanic
                          bypassed the main cooling fan so that the secondary fan, the one in
                          front of the radiator, would constantly run. The mechanic who did the
                          work yesterday didn't realize this. After discovering this, I
                          reconnected the cooling fans leads to the sensor on the radiator. The
                          fan clutch kicked in and began to cool the engine. From what I could
                          see the pressure was relieved from the system. Hopefully, things will
                          remain this way. I'll post those pics soon.
                          > Dan

                        • John Forbey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                            Anything dude...maybe one day you can get me on the set. ha.

                            From: Daniel Doss <danieldoss2001@...>
                            To: bmwe28@...
                            Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 9:51 AM