L-Jet problems. Tricky one...

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
      Have a problem with my '82 E28 528i (Euro RH drive). The idle has been
      really erratic lately, have tried just about every idle problem cure I
      know with these L-Jets and the problem remains. I have finally traced
      it down to the brake pedal. Strange, yes? If the car is idling and I
      pump the brake pedal, the idle gets worse and worse until eventually
      (after about 10 pumps) it stalls. It seems like a vacuum problem to
      me, as the L-jet requires a near total vacuum seal or it won't run
      well ie. if you remove the oil cap with the engine idling, it will
      stall. I can't seem to find anywhere on the engine for a vacuum
      connection to the brake system. Remember, the R/H drive model has a
      different brake booster arrangement to the L/H drive model.
      Any ideas???
    • Gil Thereault
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
           Hello, Start to check or replace the vacuum hoses.  I had found a few cracked or broken and replaced with new ones.  A common culprit is the bellows tube that connects the air filter to the intake.  This a common problem with cracking that allows air to enter the system.  This will cause the problem you have described.  A new one is less than $30.00 US or repair with a silicone goop as I did.  So far it has lasted several years.  The engines need a good vacuum pulling the dipstick or remove the oil cap will cause  loss of vacuum with will stall the engine.  Try these thing first.

        1986 535i 195k
        Gil

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
          Thanks Gil, the engine has good vacuum and will stall straight away
          when the dipstick is pulled. Got my wife to pump the brake pedal while
          I listened and there is a definite vacuum leak coming from the master
          cylinder, corresponding with the engine losing vacuum. I am now
          thinking the pressure from the brake bomb is leaking back through the
          master cylinder, but I'm still not sure why this is causing the engine
          to lose vacuum. Maybe the engine isn't losing vacuum, just the power
          steering pump is having to work overtime to compensate for the air
          loss when the brake pedal is applied and it is placing too much load
          on the engine, causing it to drop in revs? Keep the ideas flowing..

          --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Start to check or replace the vacuum hoses. I had found a
          few cracked or broken and replaced with new ones. A common culprit is
          the bellows tube that connects the air filter to the intake. This a
          common problem with cracking that allows air to enter the system.
          This will cause the problem you have described. A new one is less
          than $30.00 US or repair with a silicone goop as I did. So far it has
          lasted several years. The engines need a good vacuum pulling the
          dipstick or remove the oil cap will cause loss of vacuum with will
          stall the engine. Try these thing first.

          > 1986 535i 195k
          > Gil

        • Gil Thereault
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
            Hello Richard,

                From the idling issue to the brakes.  Before you answer me, go out to the car and start it up.  Take note, when you depress the brake pedal does the brake light go on briefly then goes out?  If so the brake bomb is due to be replaced.  The car will stop as it should but the brake pedal with feel funny.  The purpose for this brake accumulator is when the engine inadvertently stalls, you have some vacuum store for a few pumps to get the car to a stop.  I have done mine twice in the 8 years that I owned my e28.  You can do that job yourself at home.  The next thing come to mind is a faulty master cyl,  some weird things happen there too.  I had the front right caliper lock up from time to time and would not unlock unless things cool down or I bleed that caliper on the road.  I you have some high mileage, I believe it would be a good idea to replace that as well.  This is also something you can do at home.  If you have Bentley manual,
            that will get you started.  If I can do it you can do it.  I then 8 years that I owned my e28, I have been able to correct the issues without taking it to a garage.  Keep in touch.

            Gil

            Thanks Gil, the engine has good vacuum and will stall straight away
            when the dipstick is pulled. Got my wife to pump the brake pedal while
            I listened and there is a definite vacuum leak coming from the master
            cylinder, corresponding with the engine losing vacuum. I am now
            thinking the pressure from the brake bomb is leaking back through the
            master cylinder, but I'm still not sure why this is causing the engine
            to lose vacuum. Maybe the engine isn't losing vacuum, just the power
            steering pump is having to work overtime to compensate for the air
            loss when the brake pedal is applied and it is placing too much load
            on the engine, causing it to drop in revs? Keep the ideas flowing..

            --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@...> wrote:

            > Hello, Start to check or replace the vacuum hoses. I had found a
            few cracked or broken and replaced with new ones. A common culprit is
            the bellows tube that connects the air filter to the intake. This a
            common problem with cracking that allows air to enter the system.
            This will cause the problem you have described. A new one is less
            than $30.00 US or repair with a silicone goop as I did. So far it has
            lasted several years. The engines need a good vacuum pulling the
            dipstick or remove the oil cap will cause loss of vacuum with will
            stall the engine. Try these thing first.

            > 1986 535i 195k
            > Gil

          • R & T Bull
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2008
              Thanks for your help, Gil. I have replaced the brake bomb about 6 months
              ago, because I thought the brake pedal was lacking a bit of 'vacuum
              assist' (I know this system isn't the same as other makes but it felt
              that way to me). The brake bomb didn't make any difference and I assumed
              that was just how the brakes were meant to feel. I also tried what you
              said. The brake lights stay on as normal and I can pump the pedal until
              the car nearly stalls (the problem) without the lights failing. Also, if
              I pump up the pedal and then start the car, the pedal does go down,
              albeit a small amount compared to a vacuum assisted car. I think I may
              change the master cylinder this weekend and see if this fixes the
              problem. I think long-term I will be looking at fitting the Megasquirt I
              have in the shed also.

              Gil Thereault wrote:

              > Hello Richard,
              >
              > From the idling issue to the brakes. Before you answer me, go out
              > to the car and start it up. Take note, when you depress the brake
              > pedal does the brake light go on briefly then goes out? If so the
              > brake bomb is due to be replaced. The car will stop as it should but
              > the brake pedal with feel funny. The purpose for this brake
              > accumulator is when the engine inadvertently stalls, you have some
              > vacuum store for a few pumps to get the car to a stop. I have done
              > mine twice in the 8 years that I owned my e28. You can do that job
              > yourself at home. The next thing come to mind is a faulty master
              > cyl, some weird things happen there too. I had the front right
              > caliper lock up from time to time and would not unlock unless things
              > cool down or I bleed that caliper on the road. I you have some high
              > mileage, I believe it would be a good idea to replace that as well.
              > This is also something you can do at home. If you have Bentley manual,
              > that will get you started. If I can do it you can do it. I then 8
              > years that I owned my e28, I have been able to correct the issues
              > without taking it to a garage. Keep in touch.
              >
              > Gil
              >
              > --- On Thu, 7/17/08, Richard <tabull@...
              > <mailto:tabull%40exemail.com.au>> wrote:
              > From: Richard <tabull@... <mailto:tabull%40exemail.com.au>>
              > Subject: [bmw e28] Re: L-Jet problems. Tricky one...
              > To: bmwe28@... <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>
              > Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 3:58 PM
              >
              > Thanks Gil, the engine has good vacuum and will stall straight away
              > when the dipstick is pulled. Got my wife to pump the brake pedal while
              > I listened and there is a definite vacuum leak coming from the master
              > cylinder, corresponding with the engine losing vacuum. I am now
              > thinking the pressure from the brake bomb is leaking back through the
              > master cylinder, but I'm still not sure why this is causing the engine
              > to lose vacuum. Maybe the engine isn't losing vacuum, just the power
              > steering pump is having to work overtime to compensate for the air
              > loss when the brake pedal is applied and it is placing too much load
              > on the engine, causing it to drop in revs? Keep the ideas flowing..
              >
              > --- In bmwe28@... <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
              > Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, Start to check or replace the vacuum hoses. I had found a
              > few cracked or broken and replaced with new ones. A common culprit is
              > the bellows tube that connects the air filter to the intake. This a
              > common problem with cracking that allows air to enter the system.
              > This will cause the problem you have described. A new one is less
              > than $30.00 US or repair with a silicone goop as I did. So far it has
              > lasted several years. The engines need a good vacuum pulling the
              > dipstick or remove the oil cap will cause loss of vacuum with will
              > stall the engine. Try these thing first.
              > >
              > > 1986 535i 195k
              > > Gil

            • John Forbey
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 19, 2008
                Somebody might have said it so far, but the main difficulty I had with the L-jet was the rpm and crank position sensors.  Tested old ones for resistance and found I guess corrosion or age had compounded the problem.  Replaced sensors and had no problem.  At first choked on price but found Facet, an Italian Co. produced an alternative sensor that worked just as well.  Good Luck!

                jforbey@...