e28 buying Advice

  • beachmedic78
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I'm fairly new to this group, but have previously enjoyed owning a
      1980 e21 and I'm now looking to upgrade to a bigger car that I'll be
      able to keep once I have children.

      I'm looking for an e28 that I plan to autocross occasionaly. I love
      the 80's BMWs because they are such a blast to drive and the driver
      isn't isolated from the driving experience. Plus those cars had yet
      to start adding all sorts of bells and whistles I don't want or
      need, thus keeping the weight down.

      I have about $6,000 or $7,000 to spend and was wondering wether I'd
      be better off buying a car for about $4 or 5k and putting work into
      it, or just buying one for $6 or $7k. I'm more partial to the 535
      than the 528.

      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to buy in
      early October.

      Nathan
      Savannah, GA
    • oneshot179@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
        Look for a lux version

        it has all the extras whichever model you go for lux is the one

        late models are best 86 - 87

        make sure it does not have metric wheels

        check for corrosion around the rear subframe mounts

        feel for wheel vibration braking at 50 mph +

        check the air heater doesnt make a terriable noise

        check bumpers and chrome for holes corrosion dents difficult to obtain spares

        look carefully at interiors many high mileges will show on the seats

        look for one like mine with the 2 tone interior black and pearl beige,.
        rather than just black black black

        most lux versions have this 2 tone

        they also all have front fog lights and sports well tinted glass as shown
        here

        Look for shadow line de chromed trim.

        look carefully in boot for corrosio around the rear wings and slam panel
        where boot sits

        ]

        best of luck hope this helps

      • Pat Hines
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
          Nathan,

          You can buy a very nice 535i or 535is for $4000.00 or slightly less,
          that's what I'd look for. Try to find one that has original paint in
          good condition because that will mean it's mostly been garaged which
          will in turn mean that it's unlikely to have rust issues. I recommend
          a 5-speed transmission, the auto trannies of the time were nothing to
          write home about and frequently need rebuilds.

          With the extra money you'll have you can do a few enhancements to your
          car. I installed the M-tech suspension on my 535is, the one that we
          should have gotten in the US had it not been for our ridiculous bumper
          height restrictions. I have M5 stabilizer bars to go on it, a 3.64
          limited slip diff, and BMW factory e39 wheels in 8x17 too.
          Unfortunately, mine will need a paint job to deal with the "dead"
          finish it has now.

          Good luck in your search.

          Pat H.

          --- In bmwe28@..., "beachmedic78" <beachmedic78@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I'm fairly new to this group, but have previously enjoyed owning a
          > 1980 e21 and I'm now looking to upgrade to a bigger car that I'll be
          > able to keep once I have children.
          >
          > I'm looking for an e28 that I plan to autocross occasionaly. I love
          > the 80's BMWs because they are such a blast to drive and the driver
          > isn't isolated from the driving experience. Plus those cars had yet
          > to start adding all sorts of bells and whistles I don't want or
          > need, thus keeping the weight down.
          >
          > I have about $6,000 or $7,000 to spend and was wondering wether I'd
          > be better off buying a car for about $4 or 5k and putting work into
          > it, or just buying one for $6 or $7k. I'm more partial to the 535
          > than the 528.
          >
          > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to buy in
          > early October.
          >
          > Nathan
          > Savannah, GA

        • Pat Hines
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
            Nathan's in Georgia, USA. Our e28's were all the Lux edition, with
            monotone leather in most cars. Two tone was not offered here.

            Good advise on the heater and control arm bushings, easy items to replace.

            Our bumpers were alloy and we had the e28 through 1988, the best years
            are '86, '87, & '88 here.

          • oneshot179@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
              hi whats different about the m5 suspension and how do you uprate it it

            • Pat Hines
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 27, 2008
                Is this a question about using M5 parts on a 535is or about upgrading
                the suspension that came on US M5's?

                Euro-spec M5's are a different thing altogether.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 27, 2008
                  how do i give my 518i m5 suspension?