1986 528(e) tautamtice ransmission problems

  • sachida_raman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      last week had a coolant hose that broke...lost all coolant but luckily
      pulled over and had car towed and got problem fixed.

      A week later, went out of town which required some low speeds on trail
      at camp (5 miles or so of driving). Later that day, car would not
      engage and gears starting slipping and soon car would barely move.
      Reverse worked fine though. Had car towed and repair shop says
      transmission and drive shaft needs replacement. Is this feasable?

      Any ideas? Second opinions? Ideas on getting it fixed cheapily (parts,
      etc)?

      Many thanks,

      SACH
    • brett peavey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        that sucks dude, same thing happened to me. but i put in too much tranny
        fluid. I replaced the driveshaft 850.00 and had the tranny rebuilt for
        2300.00. probably be better to buy a parts car with a good tranny and have
        it swapped.
        Brett

        On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM, sachida_raman <sraman@...> wrote:

        > last week had a coolant hose that broke...lost all coolant but luckily
        > pulled over and had car towed and got problem fixed.
        >
        > A week later, went out of town which required some low speeds on trail
        > at camp (5 miles or so of driving). Later that day, car would not
        > engage and gears starting slipping and soon car would barely move.
        > Reverse worked fine though. Had car towed and repair shop says
        > transmission and drive shaft needs replacement. Is this feasable?
        >
        > Any ideas? Second opinions? Ideas on getting it fixed cheapily (parts,
        > etc)?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > SACH

      • sachida_raman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
          What happens if too much fluid is put in?

          Sach
        • brett peavey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
            gunks up the gear box and you have to replace everything...basically, the
            fluid turns into a bubbly gunk
            Brett Peavey
            Microwave Component Sources www.microwavecomponentsources.com