Distinctive "clunk" right side front

  • ayer4ce1
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2009
      1987 535i: Ever since I did a full suspension replacement (Bilsteins), the front right area has developed a clunking sound. I've checked the cartridge, the springs, the lower and upper control arm bushings and found nothing that would cause the sound. I do know that one of the exhaust hangers is broken but I can't imagine that causing all the noise. Many thoughts?
    • doug dykaar
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2009
        Strut top bearing?

        Regards,

        doug
      • Gerald Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2009
          check the upper strut tower bearing, push on the wheel well to see it anything moves on the tower. you may have to re-tighten.
          Jerry
          86 536i
          88 535is

          1987 535i: Ever since I did a full suspension replacement (Bilsteins), the front right area has developed a clunking sound. I've checked the cartridge, the springs, the lower and upper control arm bushings and found nothing that would cause the sound. I do know that one of the exhaust hangers is broken but I can't imagine that causing all the noise. Many thoughts?

        • RESTART
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2009
            sway bar link?
          • John F. Forbey
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2009
              I think th best thing to do is jack the front end up and off the wheels.  Take a strong bar and move different parts to see where the loose is.  I just found I have to replace an upper control arm.

              Good Luck,

              John F. Forbey

              jforbey@...
              '78 323i Alpina, '74 3.0 Bavaria, '80 528i, '79 grey market 733i (from Belgium), '83 533i, '87 635CSi, '85 325e, '89 325ia

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2009
                yeah,that reminds me of a clunk I had and it was in that strut top
                area. I think it was broken up there. twas an e30, but....I had to
                have the thing welded but so far its ok