new guy,BIG question...

  • Roosevelt
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2009
      ok,New in the group (thanks moderator!!)
      Finally got my hands ona 524Td! Car is clean,and over the years the prior owner was so caring,he even documented the fuel,and cost every time he went to the station...since he bought the car in 85.
      All looks good,and I have one issue stopping me in getting the lil' beast to start...I can't get the starter out!
      I have been working on the e34,and e30s for about 3 years now..know the cars pretty well and can do almost anthing to a M20 engine,but this time I am stumped.
      =Asides from being here and getting to have some good info. on alot of stuff for me down the road...I am wondering if any of you have any idea at what I should attempt to get this starter out of the car. It is the only thing stopping me from my twisted dream,of having a Td I own,and can drive.= I have tried modified wrenches,half moons,U-joint and extensions..still nothing,all I can get is either half the bolt head in the socket,or a wrench that will not turn because of the "fin" beside the bolt head itself.
      Thanks!!
    • bmwgascoigne
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2009
        --- In bmwe28@..., "Roosevelt" <jrooseveltcarter@...> wrote:

        > ok,New in the group (thanks moderator!!)
        > Finally got my hands ona 524Td! Car is clean,and over the years the prior owner was so caring,he even documented the fuel,and cost every time he went to the station...since he bought the car in 85.
        > All looks good,and I have one issue stopping me in getting the lil' beast to start...I can't get the starter out!
        > I have been working on the e34,and e30s for about 3 years now..know the cars pretty well and can do almost anthing to a M20 engine,but this time I am stumped.
        > =Asides from being here and getting to have some good info. on alot of stuff for me down the road...I am wondering if any of you have any idea at what I should attempt to get this starter out of the car. It is the only thing stopping me from my twisted dream,of having a Td I own,and can drive.= I have tried modified wrenches,half moons,U-joint and extensions..still nothing,all I can get is either half the bolt head in the socket,or a wrench that will not turn because of the "fin" beside the bolt head itself.
        > Thanks!!

      • bmwgascoigne
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2009
          --- In bmwe28@..., "Roosevelt" <jrooseveltcarter@...> wrote:

          > ok,New in the group (thanks moderator!!)
          > Finally got my hands ona 524Td! Car is clean,and over the years the prior owner was so caring,he even documented the fuel,and cost every time he went to the station...since he bought the car in 85.
          > All looks good,and I have one issue stopping me in getting the lil' beast to start...I can't get the starter out!
          > I have been working on the e34,and e30s for about 3 years now..know the cars pretty well and can do almost anthing to a M20 engine,but this time I am stumped.
          > =Asides from being here and getting to have some good info. on alot of stuff for me down the road...I am wondering if any of you have any idea at what I should attempt to get this starter out of the car. It is the only thing stopping me from my twisted dream,of having a Td I own,and can drive.= I have tried modified wrenches,half moons,U-joint and extensions..still nothing,all I can get is either half the bolt head in the socket,or a wrench that will not turn because of the "fin" beside the bolt head itself.
          > Thanks!!

        • Mark Gascoigne
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2009
            i,m guesing your not in the uk ,this is the only e28 question i can remember not been able to answer ,reason being that we did not get the td (oficialy ) so it shames me to say i cant help other than try ask (my e28.com ) or one of the dutch e28 sights (links at my e28) meantime i,ll phone a friend see what i can find out,good luck let me know how you get on ,regards mark

            ________________________________
            > ok,New in the group (thanks moderator!!)
            > Finally got my hands ona 524Td! Car is clean,and over the years the prior owner was so caring,he even documented the fuel,and cost every time he went to the station...since he bought the car in 85.
            > All looks good,and I have one issue stopping me in getting the lil' beast to start...I can't get the starter out!
            > I have been working on the e34,and e30s for about 3 years now..know the cars pretty well and can do almost anthing to a M20 engine,but this time I am stumped.
            > =Asides from being here and getting to have some good info. on alot of stuff for me down the road...I am wondering if any of you have any idea at what I should attempt to get this starter out of the car. It is the only thing stopping me from my twisted dream,of having a Td I own,and can drive.= I have tried modified wrenches,half moons,U-joint and extensions.. still nothing,all I can get is either half the bolt head in the socket,or a wrench that will not turn because of the "fin" beside the bolt head itself.
            > Thanks!!

          • Roosevelt Carter
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2009
              Thanks Mark.
              Believe it or not,I found the car in a small town in Oklahoma. I know in the states it is hard to get information,and in my imediate area,I own the oldest BMW's. I am looking at another e28 that is in better shape than my Td,(86 eta)..old man says 350 dollars,clean title,and around 177k miles,ran 4 years ago.
              Before I jump though,I want to cover my investments,so that means the Td has to run. LOL
               Anyhow, I do appreciate it,and will continue prowling around the sites until I hit upon a good source.
               Thanks.
               Roo

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __
              > ok,New in the group (thanks moderator!!)
              > Finally got my hands ona 524Td! Car is clean,and over the years the prior owner was so caring,he even documented the fuel,and cost every time he went to the station...since he bought the car in 85.
              > All looks good,and I have one issue stopping me in getting the lil' beast to start...I can't get the starter out!
              > I have been working on the e34,and e30s for about 3 years now..know the cars pretty well and can do almost anthing to a M20 engine,but this time I am stumped.
              > =Asides from being here and getting to have some good info. on alot of stuff for me down the road...I am wondering if any of you have any idea at what I should attempt to get this starter out of the car. It is the only thing stopping me from my twisted dream,of having a Td I own,and can drive.= I have tried modified wrenches,half moons,U-joint and extensions.. still nothing,all I can get is either half the bolt head in the socket,or a wrench that will not turn because of the "fin" beside the bolt head itself.
              > Thanks!!

            • RESTART
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13, 2009
                Hi there newbie,
                With the E28s I usually just cut the car in half. Just Joking. IIRC,
                I think you might have to raise or lower the engine a bit. I am
                pretty sure you can use a set of extensions(lots,like 2 or 3 feet),
                wobbly socket, and you have to get it from way back over the tranny.
                It helps to have someone looking in the engine bay to get the socket
                on the nut. Dont hold me to any of this.....

                For humor, its true,I did once dismantle an e12 and cut the firewall
                out to get the engine
                and tranny apart. Good old days.

                Seriously, i would pose the question on the E30 list. There are some
                real fantastic people over there.

                www.restart.ca

                %
                Oo=0=oO

                art@...
              • Roosevelt Carter
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2009
                  thanks.
                  Have considered just making an access hole in the floor just to get it out,and have a good modification if I need to do it again down the road...as for the e30 guys, I was there for quite awhile,but since I don't quite "fit in" I left,too much riducule and torment due to the fact I don't want to have a ride thats common.And I refuse to spend alot of money on stuff I can either make myself,or "borrow" from Ford.(amazing what all can interchange) My big down fall..I use the e30's as dragsters on short tracks...so I am not that popular among the crowds.
                  PS- I have been guilty of slicing a entire structure just to get a drive out without hastle.

                   Will see what all I have to do,heck might as well just go all the way,drop everything,and stick the new trans. I been holding onto all this time,wouldnt hurt any.

                  ________________________________
                  With the E28s I usually just cut the car in half. Just Joking. IIRC,
                  I think you might have to raise or lower the engine a bit. I am
                  pretty sure you can use a set of extensions(lots, like 2 or 3 feet),
                  wobbly socket, and you have to get it from way back over the tranny.
                  It helps to have someone looking in the engine bay to get the socket
                  on the nut. Dont hold me to any of this.....

                  For humor, its true,I did once dismantle an e12 and cut the firewall
                  out to get the engine
                  and tranny apart. Good old days.

                  Seriously, i would pose the question on the E30 list. There are some
                  real fantastic people over there.

                  www.restart. ca

                  %
                  Oo=0=oO

                  art@restart. ca

                • restart_the_machine
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2009
                    ROFL
                    I once flipped an E12 on its roof after dismantling to get the drive shaft, etc. out. My neighbours love me.
                    I think you can also get that bolt out with a crowsfoot wrench. I still have a few left over from my small block CHEBBY days. Pretty sure four feet of extensions and you really do need a wobbly socket. I have a Snap OFF wobbly that i use on the very end.
                    Speaking of dragging. I am building a 71 coupe(hoping to stuff an V12 in,looking for a wrecked 750 or so.) which will eat your E30.;-)

                    cheers
                    PS you can search the groups files without offending anyone cant ya!! One final thought. The Bavarian DEFENCE BOYS(Senior Six(Sicks)) might have a FAQ on removing that pesky bolt. Everybody has trouble with that one the first 20 or 30 times....
                    Best Egards