Back in the States for Good!! E28 buying advise please

  • douglasmancini
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      All,

      I have just returned back to the states after living in Europe for 15+ years, most recently in the UK. In those years I have fallen in love with E28s and the first order of business is for me to find one in teh states. That said, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I might expect to pay for a good example, which models to look out for, as I know the US market had some unique ones, and if anyone knows any good cars for sale.

      Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

      Douglas Mancini
    • ROBERT JONATHAN D. Flores
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
        hi my friend!welcome back to the states.try to find a e28 535is!!thats the poormans m5.im poor that's why i have one!! : ) many e28's here in california.i was at the junk yard 3days ago and i saw 12 e28s..

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
          I had an m535 and A 525e back in England. both great cars but completely different. In the UK M535s were plentiful. Are they easy to come buy here in the US? What would I expect to pay for a real nice one?

          - D

          hi my friend!welcome back to the states.try to find a e28 535is!!thats the poormans m5.im poor that's why i have one!! : ) many e28's here in california.i was at the junk yard 3days ago and i saw 12 e28s..

          I have just returned back to the states after living in Europe for 15+ years, most recently in the UK. In those years I have fallen in love with E28s and the first order of business is for me to find one in teh states. That said, I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I might expect to pay for a good example, which models to look out for, as I know the US market had some unique ones, and if anyone knows any good cars for sale.

          Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

          Douglas Mancini

        • Gene M.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
            Douglas,

            You might want to look for a 535is if you are looking for the sports sedan feel. I have an 87 535is and it came equipped with front BMW sport seats, 5 speed, LSD, a special suspension set up and a rear trunk deck spoiler. Much less money than an E28 M5.

            I find this car to be very nimble and quick and fun to drive. I also had an 85 535 with a 5 speed and comfort seats which rode more like a passenger sedan, but still fun to drive. The plus on an 85 is that it has the Getrag 265 transmission instead of the Getrag 260.

            Gene M.
          • Douglas Mancini
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2009
              What;s the diference between the 265 and 260 gearboxes?

              - D

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
                Here is my post on the Big Coupe Group on the difference and doing a swap.

                http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Tranny_Clutch.html#Anchor-Transmission-49575

                A lot of the mechanical systems on the E28 are the same for the E24 (electrical is different).

                Gene M.