Re: ABS query

  • appsgary
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2010
      A local brake shop replaced both of the tone rings on my '88's rear axles, but the ABS light still comes on after the car starts to move. They claim that I need to enter a 'code' to get the light to shut off. Anyone know about this?

      Thanks.

      Gary Apps
      Kalamazoo MI
    • doug
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2010
        Gary,

        My experience (85 e28 535) is that the sensor "gears" can be effectively
        cleaned with a wire brush, as long as they haven't rusted away.

        The failure mode is usually corrosion inside the poorly sealed hole in the
        wheel hub that holds the sensor, which gradually compresses the metal sensor
        cans until they fail. Getting them out can be a PITA, so don't expect
        save/clean/repair them.

        BMW has a special tool that plugs into the ABS harness that will measure the
        sensor voltages to identify the bad one(s). I faked that by connecting a
        voltmeter to the abs harness connector and spinning the wheel with the car
        on jack stands. Its hard to get a consistent rotational velocity to compare
        voltages between wheels, but if the sensor is very bad, it should be pretty
        obvious. On the first occasion, I paid an indie mechanic to use the BMW tool
        to identify the bad sensor. You might try that now to get a written report
        to take back to the local shop.

        When replacing the sensors, use RTV/silicone as a sealant.

        The failure mode appears to be exactly the same on the plastic abs sensors
        on my 2000 e39 540i-6 (both rear sensors failed by 65k miles), so don't
        expect any improvement on your next BMW. On the other hand, the newer cars
        are so complicated, you can identify the failed sensor by what other
        functionality stops, e.g. speedo or cruise. Sigh.

        Regards,

        doug
        Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

        86 951 (https://reg.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393)
        01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon
        (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1417557-drl-diy-anybody-do-pos
        t3790569.html#post3790569)
        00 540i-6 (http:// www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/forum/post.jsp?postid=1916)
        94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
        85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
        83 944 (sold in 86)
        I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
      • Larry R.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2010
          I had an ABS code come on in an E30 and it turned out that the connector was filled with crap from years of braking.

          The connectors are located on the front driver's side caliper and on the rear. Look for the line on the front axle to see what it looks like. I recall it was about a 6mm line wrench or something small to remove it and then I cleaned it with brake cleaner and shot a bunch of cleaner into the threaded hole to blow out all the gunk.

          The shop may have somehow broken or cracked the rear connector which is where I would start once you find out what it looks like. The rear is on the passenger side brake. You may be able to find it on www.realoem.com faster.

          But I've never heard of a code either.

          When I decided I wanted to see what the "guts" of the E30 ABS system looked like, I took one apart in a scrap yard. It has two fuses, similar to the big square ones in the fuse box. They are more relays that click on and off. I'd check the wires to the rear first but then maybe try to unplug and reseat them in that box. There was a cover that came off very easy on the E30 but I can go look at my 88 535is to see if it is the same if needed.

          Hope this helps.

          > A local brake shop replaced both of the tone rings on my
          > '88's rear axles, but the ABS light still comes on after the
          > car starts to move. They claim that I need to enter a 'code'
          > to get the light to shut off. Anyone know about this?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Gary Apps
          > Kalamazoo MI
          >

          > Messages in this topic (1)

          >     bmwe28-fullfeatured@...

        • Gary Apps
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2010
            The [private] shop to which I took my car claims to be a professional brake
            shop, so I would hope that they checked the wires to the sensors. They had
            me replace both rear tone rings and gave me the 'needs a code' story. I have
            a good rapport with the local dealership, but this job was done by the
            private garage at the recommendation of a friend. I'll see what I can figure
            out and may be looking at your by-pass technique if all my cheapie options
            fail.

            Thanks.

            _____

            86 951 (https://reg. <https://reg.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393>
            pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393)
            01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon
            (http://www.benzworl
            <http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1417557-drl-diy-anybody-do-pos
            > d.org/forums/w210-e-class/1417557-drl-diy-anybody-do-pos
            t3790569.html#post3790569)
            00 540i-6 (http:// www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/forum/post.jsp?postid=1916)
            94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
            85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
            83 944 (sold in 86)
            I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers

            07:40:00